Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Software > Operating Systems

Operating Systems Discuss the latest bug, patch, or new release in this section.

Unread 22nd February 2009, 11:29 AM
Kilobyte
Ubuntu or other Linux experiences

This part of the forum looked so bare I thought another thread wouldn't hurt.

Had anyone tried to go to the other side of the tracks? I tried Ubuntu. Partitioned my hard drive and everything setting up for a Vista/Ubuntu dual boot system. Unfortunately for reasons unknown there was some sort of conflict with hardware and I couldn't even reach the login screen. But the next time I put together a computer I think I'll try again.

Anyone else? Tales of trial and tribulation?
Unread 22nd February 2009, 08:15 PM
Executive Editor
Occasionally, when I don't want to create a Windows install to test hardware, I will load Ubuntu from CD and run the system without any hard drive attached. This usually allows me to load benchmarking software from a flash drive, and even browse the web without worry.

Rather than going dual-boot, I would try to run directly from the CD/DVD. If this works, the install is guaranteed.
Unread 22nd February 2009, 11:57 PM
Gigabyte
Send a message via ICQ to Daryl Greene Send a message via AIM to Daryl Greene Send a message via MSN to Daryl Greene Send a message via Yahoo to Daryl Greene Send a message via Skype™ to Daryl Greene
I've tinkered with Linux flavors over the last few years. I find it rather lacking. I can't play my games and it is a pain in the ass to get anything installed.
Unread 23rd February 2009, 07:41 AM
Gigabyte
Send a message via ICQ to XJnine
I'm really hoping this takes off.

http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

ReactOS® is a free, modern operating system based on the design of Windows® XP/2003. Written completely from scratch, it aims to follow the Windows® architecture designed by Microsoft from the hardware level right through to the application level. This is not a Linux based system, and shares none of the unix architecture.

The main goal of the ReactOS project is to provide an operating system which is binary compatible with Windows. This will allow your Windows applications and drivers to run as they would on your Windows system. Additionally, the look and feel of the Windows operating system is used, such that people accustomed to the familiar user interface of Windows® would find using ReactOS straightforward. The ultimate goal of ReactOS is to allow you to remove Windows® and install ReactOS without the end user noticing the change.
2x PNY GeForce 680 GTX SLI
32gb G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 @ 2133
2x Samsung 840Pro 256gb SSD's, Raid 0
2x Seagate Barracuda 3tb HD's, RAID 1
Vertex 4 128gb SRT Cache Drive
Memorex MRX-800 Blu-Ray drive
Corsair 1000 watt power supply
Fractal Design Define XL R2 Case
Dell U3011 30" monitor
Unread 24th February 2009, 07:54 AM
Kilobyte
That's really cool XJnine. Thanks for the link. I'll try it out on an old junker in my garage. By they way you wouldn't be named after a certain XJnine of Nickelodeon fame would you?
Unread 24th February 2009, 04:33 PM
Gigabyte
Send a message via ICQ to XJnine
LOL.. I get that quite a bit but, no, I'm not.

I've had the handle for about 13 years now. It's really supposed to be X-J-nine. X being an old clan tag and J-nine for my online name. My first name is Justin and I'm a huge Nine Inch Nails fan thus leading to X-J-nine.

There ya go!
2x PNY GeForce 680 GTX SLI
32gb G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 @ 2133
2x Samsung 840Pro 256gb SSD's, Raid 0
2x Seagate Barracuda 3tb HD's, RAID 1
Vertex 4 128gb SRT Cache Drive
Memorex MRX-800 Blu-Ray drive
Corsair 1000 watt power supply
Fractal Design Define XL R2 Case
Dell U3011 30" monitor
Unread 27th March 2009, 03:49 PM
Megabyte
My preferred version of Linux is Debian for a few reasons.

A) It's usually very well-tested and doesn't have a lot of stability issues.
B) The APT-GET repositories make installing common apps easy
C) It can be installed to suit both home computing and servers.

I use Debian for my web server and I find that it was both the most stable and easiest to setup of all the versions I've tried. However, I refuse to ever use Linux as a home computer until they remove any necessity to use command line, which has not happened yet.
Unread 5th May 2009, 07:59 AM
Kilobyte
I started off on Slackware 3 (ya, that long ago). I'm now running bleeding edge (2.6.29-gentoo-r2 w/ ext4 & btrfs) Gentoo on my desktop (x86_64) and on my laptop (i686). Somewhere along the line I moved to Mandrake then SuSE and then Mint. After getting tired of waiting for an upgrade path from Mint5 64bit to Mint 6 64bit, I buckled under the pressure from a couple of other Linux fanatic friends of mine and put Gentoo on.

Gentoo is certainly not for the faint of heart. There is a lot of commandline bits involved, but once it is all working properly there is certainly a feeling of accomplishment there, and the Gentoo community is surprisingly friendly.

My latest conquest was setting up distcc and crosscompiling, since Frank(enstein, the laptop) is a rather sluggish P4M 2.2Ghz and my desktop skips along at a comparatively blistering 2.7Ghz C2Q. Next is to see if I can build an install for my Zaurus SLC-3000.

Point of note for the curious. Just because the Gentoo livecd works with all your hardware, don't expect it to work like that after it's installed. Everything on my machine was great on the livecd, but once installed I discovered that while the LiveCD has a rather large kernel with everything needed built in, the kernel installed to the machine is much leaner with very little built in.
Unread 5th May 2009, 08:09 AM
Kilobyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew Thompson View Post
However, I refuse to ever use Linux as a home computer until they remove any necessity to use command line, which has not happened yet.
I rarely had to use the cli on Mint, and even if I did, it was certainly offset by the fact I didn't have to deal with inevitable malware invasion (my wife also uses the computer).
Unread 2nd August 2009, 03:37 PM
Byte
4 machines in the house and 3 of them run openSuse. The oldest is a dell dimension 2400, newest is an i7, everything works out-of-the-box except the wireless cards and they only took minimal configuration.
Sponsored links