Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Software > General Software Forum

General Software Forum Discuss all other software related topics, or anything else with a byte to it.

Unread 6th September 2010, 09:45 PM
Gigabyte
Send a message via MSN to Remacno
Question about Win7 Home Edition...

I was considering buying a copy of this for myself at home and understand that I can only install it on one computer, but do those pricks over at Microsoft allow individual purchases of CD Keys for, I don't know, like...$30. I would hate to buy this new copy of Windows and have to pay $180+ for a copy per effing computer when I have 3 in my home and my dad has two. I was planning on ordering 2 copies, one for me, and one for my dad, who I know has 2 computers running that can use this OS.

If they don't offer CD Key purchases, then those sorry SOBs need to. $180+ per computer is effing ridiculous!
Unread 7th September 2010, 01:29 AM
Terabyte
You want retail licenses for three computers? Won't upgrade licenses (at half the price) do just as well?
Last autumn MS did offer a "family pack" consisting of three upgrade licenses at a total cost of $150.

Anyway, the license fee (with included software support agreement) is what makes out the biggest part of those $180, so if MS sold individual license keys you should expect those to cost some $150 or so.

Cheers
Olle
Unread 7th September 2010, 08:14 AM
Executive Editor
Keep in mind that you pay $50 for a video game, and then tell me that an entire O/S like Windows 7 isn't worth $150. You've got other choices, you know.

At any rate, you should buy the upgrade version. You won't actually be upgrading (hopefully), and you can do a clean install with the upgrade version (see Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade and Installation). I paid only $45 each many months back.
Unread 7th September 2010, 12:26 PM
Gigabyte
Send a message via MSN to Remacno
Yeah...this just kind of sucks...wonder if I can get my hands on a slipstream copy. Lol
Unread 7th September 2010, 01:17 PM
Executive Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remacno View Post
Yeah...this just kind of sucks...wonder if I can get my hands on a slipstream copy. Lol
Slipstreamed copy? I take it you just ignored the link I gave you, which tells you how to do a clean install with Win7 upgrade.
Unread 7th September 2010, 01:44 PM
Contributing Editor
or you could make your own O/S and sell it.... im sure you will realise then just how much it is worth.
Unread 8th September 2010, 04:06 AM
Megabyte
I heard MS are bringing back that family pack soon.
Unread 8th September 2010, 06:45 PM
Bit
Win7 Home install & family pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Cassisi View Post
I heard MS are bringing back that family pack soon.
I read the same on a couple of sites recently, supposed to be a Holiday special, limited time offer. Three keys for about $150.

And as Olin stated, you can forge ahead with the upgrade pack doing a clean install. You can legally do a clean install with the Upgrade media (provided that you still bought the software as an upgrade to WinXP or Vista). During the install, choose "Custom Install" - wipe the applicable drive or partition and then continue the installation process. When you reach the part where it asks for the license key, leave it blank and untick the box that says "Automatically activate Windows when I'm online". Finish the installation and then run the installation from within Windows. This time when it asks, enter the license key and continue the installation.

Should be good. Or you can send your Win7 DVD to me along with your compubox, prepaid shipping, and I'll do it for you for a measely $50,000. Cash. Include with shipment.
Unread 8th September 2010, 11:41 PM
Gigabyte
Send a message via ICQ to Daryl Greene Send a message via AIM to Daryl Greene Send a message via MSN to Daryl Greene Send a message via Yahoo to Daryl Greene Send a message via Skype™ to Daryl Greene
With an upgrade version, you don't need to have XP or Vista installed before you install from the upgrade version? Or would you have to install Vista or XP and then do the upgrade thing?
Unread 9th September 2010, 08:05 AM
Executive Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Greene View Post
With an upgrade version, you don't need to have XP or Vista installed before you install from the upgrade version? Or would you have to install Vista or XP and then do the upgrade thing?
Go read the article - I wouldn't have suggested it unless their was a wealth of information in there.