Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Hardware > Overclockers Lounge

Overclockers Lounge Post your projects and results in this section.

Unread 30th August 2010, 03:37 AM
Gigabyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
Pointing at the obvious: Might this be a case of one bad RAM stick? What happens if you have the "missing" stick switch place with a found one (just to be sure)?

Cheers
Olle
Well, funny you said that. I just did that test. And I got back to 12GB Physical / 8GB usable. So I kept the m"bad" module out and switched up the other modules to all logical places. Everything was ok, but still only 8GB was showing in the BIOS. The last time I said 4GB was usable, both the A and C (1-3) channels were blanked in the BIOS.

So anyway, I pulled out a stick of "good" RAM and inserted the so called "bad" RAM, and then the BIOS showed *GB again, with the C channel still blank.

I'm at a loss here. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. This time I'm getting a much faster load speed into windows and a solid 8GB usable, but the C channel is still not counting off.

It could be anything, bad mem controller, bad BIOS, bad MB. The only thing to do now is isolate. But that means buying new hardware, and right now, I can't afford it.

I talked to an Intel tech rep and he said to talk with Gigabyte first. So I have a tech email to Gigabyte. I also have one at OCZ. They said to check the RAM individually, which I have done three times now.

Like I said, this one has me scratching my head. Reminds me of old school trouble shooting when a bad CPU or board, or RAM was more likely to go bad than today's hardware

Any suggestions?
Unread 30th August 2010, 07:50 AM
Executive Editor
Does your Windows Resource Monitor display the correct amount installed, but allocate some of it to 'Hardware Reserved'?

Source: Troubleshooting System Memory
Unread 30th August 2010, 04:03 PM
Gigabyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olin Coles View Post
Does your Windows Resource Monitor display the correct amount installed, but allocate some of it to 'Hardware Reserved'?

Source: Troubleshooting System Memory
It does. That's the classic problem people are having. I see where you are going with this: Windows gets it's information from the BIOS, so the BIOS is telling Windows the correct amount installed. However, windows can't use it, so it must be the CPU controller?
Unread 30th August 2010, 04:04 PM
Executive Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdallam View Post
It does. That's the classic problem people are having. I see where you are going with this: Windows gets it's information from the BIOS, so the BIOS is telling Windows the correct amount installed. However, windows can't use it, so it must be the CPU controller?
Exactly. That's where I'm going with this.
Unread 30th August 2010, 04:25 PM
Gigabyte
Quote:
Exactly. That's where I'm going with this.
OK so at this point I can confidently contact Intel with this information and get the CPU RMA'd? Is there anything else I should do to gain the upper hand here with the RMA? Maybe I'll get a D0 instead of a C0? Woo Hoo.
Unread 30th August 2010, 04:28 PM
Executive Editor
I did an RMA through Intel, and used their chat service feature. It went especially well for me, and I linked to the memory controller article (which helped). You'll need the original Intel heatsink fan to complete the RMA. Replacement CPU stepping is unpredictable, but it will be a new retail package.
Unread 30th August 2010, 04:37 PM
Gigabyte
Quote:
I did an RMA through Intel, and used their chat service feature. It went especially well for me, and I linked to the memory controller article (which helped). You'll need the original Intel heatsink fan to complete the RMA. Replacement CPU stepping is unpredictable, but it will be a new retail package.
I don't have the fan and heat sink anymore. OK I just talked to Intel and they want me to swap the CPU into another board and see if it has the same problem. Want me to send it to you? lol

Last edited by Doug Dallam : 30th August 2010 at 05:36 PM.
Unread 30th August 2010, 08:49 PM
Executive Editor
Quote:
I don't have the fan and heat sink anymore. OK I just talked to Intel and they want me to swap the CPU into another board and see if it has the same problem. Want me to send it to you? lol
If you have another motherboard, as I did for my testing, it's worth a try. If not, you do what you've gotta do.
Unread 30th August 2010, 10:26 PM
Gigabyte
LMAO. Indeed. How sure are you that this is the CPU?
Unread 30th August 2010, 10:28 PM
Executive Editor
Quote:
LMAO. Indeed. How sure are you that this is the CPU?
Without testing in another motherboard, I can't be sure at all. 50/50?