Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Benchmark Reviews Forum > Off-Topic Discussions

Off-Topic Discussions If it doesn't fit in another section, it probably belongs here. Keep discussions civil and respectful.

Unread 2nd January 2010, 05:40 PM
Executive Editor
CES and Murphy's Law

I'm a mere three days wait before traveling to CES (Consumer Electronics Show) in Las Vegas with contributing editor David Ramsey... and in preparration for the event I've been prepping a netbook I purchased about nine months ago for the show.

While I'm to blame for waiting until the week of the event to prepare, Murphy's Law takes credit for everything else that's happened. First, I took the netbook off of the shelf to load updated software onto it. This is when I discovered that it refused to consistently turn-on, and eventually quit trying completely. Ultimately a bad mainboard would force this little device to the sidelines. Not a big deal I thought, since I have a 15.4" notebook that's been solid for three years now. So I thought...

I use my Dell Inspiron 6400 nearly every day (it still has Windows XP), but I rarely have a reason to connect a USB flash drive. After much of the day wasted on trying to recover my dead netbook, I spent the remainder on troubleshooting the USB ports on my notebook.

After installing Windows 7 onto a different drive to confirm that it was a hardware issue, it appears that all four USB ports have decided to quit their jobs. Power is still transferred, and the flash drives that I've tested light-up as active, but Windows fails to detect them.

Horray for system failures at a critical time. This just makes me hate CES that much more.
Unread 2nd January 2010, 06:06 PM
Gigabyte
Yeah, it´s funny how bad things happen at bad times. Or at least, thats the time you discover them.
Don´t worry, things normally go well, and I don´t think this will be the exception. Good luck at CES and bring many photos and new sponsors!

Last edited by Servando Silva : 2nd January 2010 at 06:44 PM.
Unread 2nd January 2010, 06:22 PM
Gigabyte
Send a message via ICQ to Daryl Greene Send a message via AIM to Daryl Greene Send a message via MSN to Daryl Greene Send a message via Yahoo to Daryl Greene Send a message via Skype™ to Daryl Greene
Don't forget to bring me a T-shirt!
Unread 2nd January 2010, 07:04 PM
Executive Editor
They don't have any CES t-shirts, but they have plenty of tech-nerds running around in flannel.
Unread 2nd January 2010, 07:49 PM
Kilobyte
Be sure to kick anyone who uses terms like "bleeding edge" and "ultimate" with a serious expression on their faces for me. Have lots of fun!
Unread 6th January 2010, 08:23 PM
Kilobyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olin Coles View Post

Horray for system failures at a critical time. This just makes me hate CES that much more.
Strange how often one discovers that the jack is missing when stranded with a flat tire.

Unread 7th January 2010, 11:31 AM
Gigabyte
Send a message via ICQ to Daryl Greene Send a message via AIM to Daryl Greene Send a message via MSN to Daryl Greene Send a message via Yahoo to Daryl Greene Send a message via Skype™ to Daryl Greene
Well, steal me some t's off the product girls then.
Unread 11th January 2010, 10:48 PM
Executive Editor
Just got home from CES, and not a minute too soon. My notebook computer with the dead USB ports began having troubles turning-on yesterday, and today it started up after several attempts so I could transfer files to another system. I shut down the system, and now it won't turn on at all.

Rest in Peace - Dell Inspiron 6400
3/23/2006 ~ 01/11/2010

Cut down in the prime of it's life. I'll miss you my faithful companion.