Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Hardware > Networking

Networking All WiFi, LAN, WAN, and Internet related discussions belong in here.

Unread 22nd September 2009, 11:32 AM
Gigabyte
Send a message via MSN to Remacno
How do I connect?

I just redid a computer for a friend since she was having some issues and now I need to connect to the network to install the graphics software. I am running on a Comcast Motorola cable modem but I am not sure how to set up the connection on her computer. Could anyone please walk me through the steps? I never learned how to do that and everyone here is too stupid to tell me. Lol
Unread 22nd September 2009, 12:47 PM
Gigabyte
Send a message via ICQ to XJnine
You should just be able to plug the network cable in and you're good to go. No special configuration should be necessary.

Have you tried that yet and if so, what happened? What OS is she running?
2x PNY GeForce 680 GTX SLI
32gb G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 @ 2133
2x Samsung 840Pro 256gb SSD's, Raid 0
2x Seagate Barracuda 3tb HD's, RAID 1
Vertex 4 128gb SRT Cache Drive
Memorex MRX-800 Blu-Ray drive
Corsair 1000 watt power supply
Fractal Design Define XL R2 Case
Dell U3011 30" monitor
Unread 22nd September 2009, 03:28 PM
Gigabyte
Windows XP but the plug and play configuration setup does not do anything.
Unread 22nd September 2009, 04:21 PM
Executive Editor
I'll repeat what XJnine said, since you went in a whole other direction: plug the network cable in and you're good to go.

There's no software involved, no plug-n-play, just take your hand and grab the cable and plug it in. Done. At the most, you might need to unplug the power from the cable modem and plug it in again.
Unread 22nd September 2009, 05:27 PM
Gigabyte
Send a message via ICQ to Daryl Greene Send a message via AIM to Daryl Greene Send a message via MSN to Daryl Greene Send a message via Yahoo to Daryl Greene Send a message via Skype™ to Daryl Greene
You guys are forgetting that if it is an onboard NIC there may be software needed for it to operate. The best thing to do in that case is get your hands on an add-on NIC and use it till you get the software on it you need. That would include the software for the motherboard and its onboard components.
Unread 22nd September 2009, 05:35 PM
Executive Editor
How does someone get far enough to Install Windows on a computer, and not know that they'll need drivers?

You'll need to use a flash drive and second computer to download the software.
Unread 23rd September 2009, 12:42 PM
Gigabyte
Yeah, I already got all that. Instead of using an Ethernet I used a USB connection from the modem to the computer and got the connection established that way. Luckily, the woman is using the same modem as I am so she can easily access the internet and since she uses Ethernet and not USB I am including a USB connection for her.

Strange thing is that there are no drivers that I can find for the Gateway 300s Cel. The earliest model drivers that I can find are for the 310s.
Unread 26th September 2009, 04:10 PM
Kilobyte
If the only way you can get her machine online is through the USB connection, there is a good chance that either the NIC port on the modem or PC is shot. Also, make sure that the NIC is turned on in the BIOS and properly shows up as working in the device manager. Make sure the cable is working, and is not a crossover cable or anything. If when you plug the network cable into the PC, the network connection status (usually in the lower right hand corner by the clock) does not change, and stays at a red X, then you arent getting a physical connection.

Test it out on a different PC to be sure. If the setup works on a separate PC, then it is her PC.. if it has the same problem across 2 different computers, its either the cable or the modem.

Be sure you are resetting the modem completely when you try... just unplugging the network cable is not enough... unplug the modem from power, and let it fully turn off and turn back on.

If it is working for now, and you are happy with it, then I guess just leave it.. but, it could be a sign that her computer is crapping out, especially if the NIC is onboard.
Unread 27th September 2009, 08:55 AM
Gigabyte
Send a message via ICQ to Daryl Greene Send a message via AIM to Daryl Greene Send a message via MSN to Daryl Greene Send a message via Yahoo to Daryl Greene Send a message via Skype™ to Daryl Greene
Nate, the thing is that the NIC is onboard and needs drivers to operate. There really isn't likely any other problem. I emailed them the info they needed to get the drivers that should be for that PC. XJnine did research and found them and I passed it all along. Seems that no one on his end has checked his mother's email and found it. I was actually surprised that there are drivers available for that PC. I tired on occasion over the last few years to find drivers for manufactured PC's and there were never any available.

Olin, the thing is that Remacno hasn't had direct experience doing these things. He has sat around some and talked to me about the process while I was at it. Hell, the onboard NIC issue slips my mind momentarily sometimes. I guess if I did OS installs more often I wouldn't.
Unread 26th April 2011, 05:19 PM
Gigabyte
it's called a router.
Sponsored links