Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Hardware > Networking

Networking All WiFi, LAN, WAN, and Internet related discussions belong in here.

Unread 21st February 2010, 06:48 AM
Byte
Looking for a reliable wireless N router

I know that not all wireless N routers are not created equal. Linksys Wireless G WRT54G and WRT54GL are incredibly reliable for G band routers, however I have heard that their N band wireless routers, of course with Gigabit Lan ports, is less than stellar. When I check the online retail sites for N wireless routers, I can't find a high rated reliable router based on customer review feedback. I need one very soon as my WRT54G works fine but at 54mbps and 10/100 ports is creating a bottleneck on online data transfers. Any recommended wireless N band routers that have 300mpbs WAN and 1000 LAN level hardware that hopefully you have and like?
AMD Phenom II 550BE 3.1GHz
Cooled by Prolima tech Megahalems with push/pull Scythe slipstream 1,900rpm 138CFG fans Booyaah!
Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3 4GB (2x2GB)
OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD SATA II
Maxtor Diamond 60GB 7,200 rpm HDD ATA
Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner SATA II
Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced Case w/ 7 case fans
Corsair HX 650W P/S
NEC 1850X 18" LCD monitor DVI
Logitech Elite keyboard and MX500 mouse
Unread 21st February 2010, 08:00 AM
Executive Editor
The D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router is still the best of the bunch as far as I'm concerned. 300Mbps WiFi and Gigabit Ethernet ports... plus it has constant firmware improvements.
Unread 22nd February 2010, 12:28 AM
Terabyte
Send a message via MSN to RagingShadow07
I picked up a Linksys WRT160N V2 from CompUSA for $50 refurbished the other day. It seems to be working well, but it doesn't have Gigabit ethernet ports, which could be a dealbreaker depending on what you need it for.

Paired up with a Linksys WUSB600N (I believe that's the model number... it's whatever Linksys' highest-end USB N adapter is) it works pretty well. ~230Mbps speeds at 50 feet away through two walls and two doors.

Linksys' next step-up is the WRT320N which adds Gigabit, but from what I've heard, those, and the higher-end routers get insanely hot, to the point of frying themselves within months.
Sponsored links