I'm happy with my mish mash home theater setup.
- 34" 16x9 Toshiba CRT that outputs 1080i
- old Kenwwod 5.1 DTS receiver
- Athena Audition Series fronts, rears, and center channel
- old David D-BOX 10" active subwoofer
- Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player
- old Pioneer AC3/DTS Laserdisc player
To be honest the absolute best audio I've heard was from the AC3 Laserdisc of Saving Private Ryan. I was excited when the dvd of that movie first came out and immediately bought it. The audio was horrible compared to the laserdisc. I guess because the audio and video on the laserdisc format was not compressed.