Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Hardware > Networking

Networking All WiFi, LAN, WAN, and Internet related discussions belong in here.

Unread 20th May 2012, 12:04 AM
Gigabyte
LAN transfer speeds

I have the Cisco 610N v2 router and I can connect to it using the 5GHz band with my dual channel laptop. I'm getting 5MB/s transfer speed between computers. The laptop is about 12 feet from the router. And yes, transmit is on high and the reception is maxed. Is that normal for a wireless LAN?

Is there anyway to improve that speed?
If not, I'm assuming this is a router processing bottleneck?
Unread 20th May 2012, 07:46 AM
Executive Editor
I'm not familiar with this particular model, but I presume it's a Wireless-N device based on the name. What kind of wireless NIC does your laptop have? Presuming it's also a draft-N device, you might check Resource Manager to see if there's a CPU bottleneck during a large transfer. You might also try transfers with Jumbo Frame enabled.
Unread 21st May 2012, 03:34 PM
Gigabyte
The router and the laptop are both N, and the laptop processor is a Core2 Duo Penryn. Isn't the router what determines the speed in a LAN situation, since it has to do processing also, which would lead to the low power CPU in the router bottlenecking?

The router Frame Burst is on. I'll check the Wireless NIC setting in the laptop. Thanks.
Unread 22nd May 2012, 01:17 PM
Contributing Editor
Is the firmware of the router up to date? Also, what method are you using to measure your transfer speeds?
Unread 22nd May 2012, 03:44 PM
Gigabyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Iglesias-Hearst View Post
Is the firmware of the router up to date? Also, what method are you using to measure your transfer speeds?
Hi Steven,

Yes the firmware is up to date. I'm just watching the WIN7 transfer dialog. Last night I got 8MB/s. I enabled wide channel for my 2.4 N band. Still pretty slow. I read that if you use encryption the max speed is 54Mbps or 6.75MB/s so I guess I'm doing better than that at least. I've read that computer to computer LAN speeds are much slower than client to router speeds. that's about all I know so far. I haven't had a chance to play with packet size or other settings yet.

My WNIC in my main machine is a N device but only transmits of the 2.4Ghz channel. Point being, I don't know enough to nail down the bottleneck, which is, I believe, my main machine's WNIC, the router, or the WNIC in the laptop, which is dual band N and does use the routers 5GHzN channel.

The last thing I read that made the most sense is that the router processing power isn't powerful enough to process the information, for some reason, in a WLAN setting to achieve much higher than 10MB/s (100mbs).
Sponsored links