Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Hardware > Peripheral Hardware

Peripheral Hardware The forum is for everything outside the computer case.

Unread 22nd January 2012, 06:32 PM
Terabyte
Send a message via MSN to RagingShadow07
I can't decide on a monitor. Opinions?

My Acer had a (moderately) good life, but the DVI port is now completely gone and I was looking for a step up anyway. I've been looking through reviews for weeks and I think I've narrowed it down somewhat.

Before a week or so ago my choices were narrowed down to the Dell Ultrasharp U2412M or U2312HM, but I've been looking more and more into 3D Vision monitors. Amazon has a refurbished Acer 3D Vision 2 monitor for around $450 and I'm very close to ordering it tomorrow.

One of the things I was looking into the most was the difference between 3D Vision 1 and 2. In some of the reviews on here it's mentioned that it's a pretty big step-up in brightness and contrast so I was trying to prioritize on that. Add on that the Acer has three HDMI 1.4 ports (Which would be a god-send since I don't have a television, yet I have a 360 and two computers) that do 3D Play, it's almost too good to miss. I also just built a secondary PC and was looking into a BluRay drive for 3D movies since the GT 240 in it does that according to NVIDIA's list.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

On an unrelated note (and a somewhat amusing image) I don't know how I ever lived with a small mid-tower system like the Antec 900 without a modular power supply. This is my best effort to make it somewhat non-spaghetti-like.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...7/467a8260.jpg
Unread 22nd January 2012, 07:20 PM
Executive Editor
Before you spend money, are you absolutely sure your existing monitor is dead? It seems unlikely that the DVI port would cause failure, and would suggest connecting to another system to see if there's any picture. Assuming the worst, you'd likely enjoy the step up to 3D Vision (2). I really like my monitor, especially for gaming and movies. If you buy refurbished, just make sure you get some level of warranty 'just in case'. Good luck!
Unread 22nd January 2012, 07:24 PM
Terabyte
I tried a VGA to DVI adapter for my PC, and a DVI to HDMI adapter for my 360 (Two different cables, two different adapters) and they were both showing green distortions and at one point or another completely greened out. Using HDMI or VGA doesn't yield those results, and both work fine. I mainly wanted a new monitor so I could have a dual monitor setup. I'm fine having a messed up DVI port since HDMI works, and would love a higher quality monitor.

I believe they said the warranty on the Acer was a year, which is fine by me. I noticed a brand new ASUS 24" 1080p monitor for $399 after rebate with the original 3D Vision kit included, but wasn't sure how much of a difference Lightboost made, so I was trying to aim for a new one.

A question, though. I'm still on one 1.2GB GTX 570. I'm fine with downgrading settings on games I play, but is the lack of video memory going to be an issue in 3D Vision as it is for Eyefinity? I've heard some pretty mixed things about that, including a lot of people on forums recommending the 2.5GB 570 or 3GB 580 for it.
Unread 22nd January 2012, 08:41 PM
Terabyte
Damn, I really need to do my research before I go off and buy things. I ordered the Acer on Newegg, but then immediately read into it and noticed the 3D Vision 2 model has a different model number and isn't out yet. I'm lucky I was able to cancel my order. That leaves only the ASUS if I want 3D Vision 2, I guess. Not sure what I should order now. I'm still looking at the $400 3D Vision original ASUS monitor.
Unread 25th January 2012, 11:57 PM
Terabyte
For what it's worth I ended up trying my luck with a BenQ XL2420T after seeing a lot of hype and a few scattered reviews for it online. I have a shiny new 3D Vision 2 kit sitting next to me and the monitor should be here Friday. Can't wait!
Unread 27th January 2012, 12:21 PM
Terabyte
Quadruple post. Feels like I'm going for a record here, ahaha. Sorry.

Got my XL2420T in the mail today and even so little as moving the mouse around on the desktop feels worlds different. 3D on the other hand I think is going to take time to get used to. The light loss is noticeable on a Vision 2 kit, so I'm extremely happy I didn't go with an original monitor.

On another note, though, the two games I've tried so far (Modern Warfare 3 and Black Ops) weren't using all of the GPU, yet they were getting low FPS (in the 40s) in 3D mode. Is there a bottleneck somewhere, or are they just not coded very well?
Unread 27th January 2012, 03:01 PM
Executive Editor
Sorry I haven't chimed in... been VERY busy lately.

The ASUS VG278H LCD Monitor 3D Vision-2 Kit I recently reviewed was extremely bright out of the box, which counter-acted 3D Vision 2's slight dimness. I suggest playing with brightness until it's just bright enough to stand in 2D mode but still bright enough for 3D mode.

As for the games, MW3 and BO are both DirectX 9 games with very little software room for 3D. It could also be your settings, because I don't recommend anything over 50%. Take a look at 3D screen shots I provided in this reviews:
Batman Arkham City 3D Vision Game Review
World of Tanks 3D Vision Game Review
Unread 27th January 2012, 06:47 PM
Terabyte
Modified the brightness and it's definitely better with lower 2D brightness.

Looks like CoD games are just awful ports after all. 30% GPU usage, 25% CPU usage (on my new Bulldozer) and 54FPS in 2D mode in Black Ops. Bad Company 2, BF3, and Crysis 2 were all running magnificently and maxing out my GPU. 3D is really something else on games that are "3D Vision Ready." Almost makes me want to SLI.

My main complaint is that I'm an idiot and made the mistake of accidentally touching the lens and it seems to resist even a microfiber cloth cleaning. That's a user error, though, so I can't count it against the kit. I couldn't be more happy with the monitor.
Sponsored links