Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Hardware > Networking

Networking All WiFi, LAN, WAN, and Internet related discussions belong in here.

Unread 10th May 2007, 04:56 PM
Kilobyte
DSL Network

First off I'd like to point out there's no network section! but no biggie there.

Alright so we just switched from our cable internet to DSL(from SBC)and we are having major problems with browsing the internet. We used the modem they provided and connected it to a wireless Netgear router so that all of the computers can get on. All the lights on both the modem and router show connectivity and activity, Windows also says that a connection has been established and assigns an ip address. But when you get on Ie7 or Firefox 2 pages don't load most of them time or when they do they are incredibly slow(you also have to refresh about 5 times to get a page to work). Steam works fine with average ping's in CS:S and BF2, my AVG won't update AIM has problems connecting half the time and my E-mail(Thunderbird)only connects half the time too.

I've already configured the router to PPPOE and run SBC's(useless)troubleshooting so if anyone has any ideas please feel free to say so.
Unread 10th May 2007, 08:50 PM
Executive Editor
Presto... and there you have it: Networking.

I presume that you skipped the crappy AT&T (not SBC anymore) Yahoo! software CD, and just configured PPPoE on the modem. Chances are also good that you have received a Siemens SpeadStream 4100 modem. First things first.

The modem comes with the default static IP address of 192.168.0.1.
To the best of my knowledge, Netgear also programs their appliances with the same address. Before you do anything else, make your router 192.168.1.1.

Next, troubleshoot the devices. Surf the web via direct connection (Ethernet) to the modem, and then do the same (Ethernet) for the router. Then go WiFi.

There are more steps, but lets start there.
Unread 11th May 2007, 03:44 PM
Kilobyte
Forgot to say this is my origanol post but only 2 laptops use the wireless connection our 3 desktops all use a wired connection.

Sadly I was not the one who set it up, it was my not so tech-savvy mom who of course used the cd.

We do have a Siemens Speedstream 4100b modem but how would I configure it to PPPOE? Also how do I change the IP of the router?
Unread 11th May 2007, 05:57 PM
Executive Editor
Before I offer out any advice, have you ever worked on a router before? I ask this because you could really mess things up if you do something wrong.
Unread 11th May 2007, 06:20 PM
Kilobyte
Yes, I've configured port forwarding set up PPPOE and done static ips. I know the basic ins and outs of access to a router control panel and what the menu items do.
Unread 12th May 2007, 08:30 AM
Executive Editor
Ok, here's what you do:

Disconnect all cables (except power) from the modem, and plug a computer directly via Ethernet cable. Go to 192.168.0.1, Then Advanced --> Connection Configuration and use the modems serial number for access. This is where you plug in the user name ([email protected]) and password. On the Connection Type use Always attempt to connect.

Then go to Advanced --> PPP location. Choose PPP is on the modem. Save changes, and let it restart.

Now go plug into the router (do not do this via WiFi). Chances are good that the configuration IP address is 192.168.0.1, but if not then it is 192.168.1.1. There will be a section for assigning an IP address to this device, and you want it to be 192.168.1.1, so if you had to use 192.168.0.1 to get in it will need to be changed. Make sure the WAN portion is set to DHCP/Automatic configuration. Save changes. Reconnect all of the hardware.
Unread 12th May 2007, 09:37 AM
Kilobyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Capitolin View Post
Ok, here's what you do:

Disconnect all cables (except power) from the modem, and plug a computer directly via Ethernet cable. Go to 192.168.0.1, Then Advanced --> Connection Configuration and use the modems serial number for access. This is where you plug in the user name ([email protected]) and password. On the Connection Type use Always attempt to connect.

Then go to Advanced --> PPP location. Choose PPP is on the modem. Save changes, and let it restart.

Now go plug into the router (do not do this via WiFi). Chances are good that the configuration IP address is 192.168.0.1, but if not then it is 192.168.1.1. There will be a section for assigning an IP address to this device, and you want it to be 192.168.1.1, so if you had to use 192.168.0.1 to get in it will need to be changed. Make sure the WAN portion is set to DHCP/Automatic configuration. Save changes. Reconnect all of the hardware.
Thank you! It works fine now, I followed your directions to the mark and now the internet is back to how it should be(although dsl is slightly slower than cable)
Unread 12th May 2007, 01:43 PM
Executive Editor
I'm glad to have helped! DSL is a little slower than cable, but it's cheaper too.