Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Hardware > Overclockers Lounge

Overclockers Lounge Post your projects and results in this section.

Unread 27th August 2010, 01:58 AM
Gigabyte
RAM bank not showing.

Problem: I have 3 4GB kits installed. In BIOS, two banks show, and the last one only gives the my custom settings, but the SPD timings don't show and the timing are all lined out, except CAS, like this:

CAS 7
tRCD -
tRP -
etc

The CAS shows, but the rest are just not there.

I just switched the RAM and the same bank is blank.

Any ideas?

All the custom timings are the same. Rig below:
Ram v. 1.65
BIOS F10
MB: Gig X58 U5
RAM: OCZ Performance Triple @ 12GB (x2 6GB matched pairs)
PSU: Kingwin 1000wt Mach 1 Modular
VIDEO: BFG 295
CASE: CMS 830 Stacker

Last edited by Doug Dallam : 28th August 2010 at 04:05 AM.
Unread 27th August 2010, 07:49 AM
Executive Editor
It's a longshot, but take a look at this:

Installed Memory vs RAM Usable by Windows Featured Guides Most PC users are familiar with the 4GB system memory limitation of 32-bit Windows Operating Systems, which is why 64-bit computing has become the standard for computer enthusiasts. Occasionally though, a computer system will not report the correct amount of RAM installed. In this article, our 64-bit Windows 7 test system had 6.00 GB of installed memory but indicates only 4.00 GB usable RAM available. While some may dismiss this as a case of defective RAM, you might be surprised by the culprit. Benchmark Reviews troubleshoots Installed Memory vs RAM Usable by Windows.
Read More...
Unread 27th August 2010, 04:51 PM
Gigabyte
I'll check it out Olin, and thanks. However, it has been working, and suddenly I notice I have 8GB of RAM instead of 12. I had a problem like this once, but when I looked at my RAM timing, I had forgotten to set one bank with the other three. So Win 7 just ignored that bank. It's the bank closest to the processor.
Unread 27th August 2010, 10:52 PM
Gigabyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olin Coles View Post
It's a longshot, but take a look at this:

Installed Memory vs RAM Usable by Windows Featured Guides Most PC users are familiar with the 4GB system memory limitation of 32-bit Windows Operating Systems, which is why 64-bit computing has become the standard for computer enthusiasts. Occasionally though, a computer system will not report the correct amount of RAM installed. In this article, our 64-bit Windows 7 test system had 6.00 GB of installed memory but indicates only 4.00 GB usable RAM available. While some may dismiss this as a case of defective RAM, you might be surprised by the culprit. Benchmark Reviews troubleshoots Installed Memory vs RAM Usable by Windows.
Read More...
That's exactly what my resport says: 12GB installed, 8GB usable. At least my CPU has another 1.5 years on the warranty, if that's what it is.
Unread 27th August 2010, 11:23 PM
Executive Editor
Start by removing the CPU, cleaning the golden contacts, and reinstalling. If that doesn't fix it, you might want to looking into the RMA.
Unread 28th August 2010, 01:01 AM
Gigabyte
Quote:
Start by removing the CPU, cleaning the golden contacts, and reinstalling. If that doesn't fix it, you might want to looking into the RMA.
There are several other things I need to try first. I'm going to back off on the bolt through cooliing tower first, after I get all of the proposed solutions out of the way. I'll report back.
Unread 29th August 2010, 02:10 AM
Gigabyte
I'm tired of this bullshit. Tomorrow i'm going to order an H50 and reseat the CPU. I did want to pass one thing to you. I lowered my RAM multiplier from 8 to 6 for a speed of 1066--I was stable at 1448. Windows now gives me this report:

12GB Installed (4GB Usable) I lost another 4GB. At this point I think the CPU is bad, for sure.

I went ahead and reseated the CPU. Same thing, and when I change Ram multiplier, I get only 4GB usable, as per above. CVhannel A and Channel C are having the same problem. No SPD showing in them, just lines and latency. Do you by chance know if that processor yuo checked was a D0 or C0?

Last edited by Doug Dallam : 29th August 2010 at 03:53 AM.
Unread 29th August 2010, 09:13 AM
Executive Editor
Instead of spending more money on a cooler or more time changing settings, why don't you try what I suggested?
Unread 29th August 2010, 10:40 PM
Gigabyte
Quote:
Instead of spending more money on a cooler or more time changing settings, why don't you try what I suggested?
I pulled the CPU. Everything looked tits. Tonight I tested all my RAM and it's fine. If I load all three channels, channel 3 won't show in the BIOS, except latency.

If I fill channels 1 and 2 I get 8GB installed, 4GB usable. If I take all of the RAM out of banks 2-4-6, I get 6GB installed and 4 usable.

Does this point to the CPU memory controller?

Last edited by Doug Dallam : 29th August 2010 at 10:49 PM.
Unread 30th August 2010, 02:12 AM
Terabyte
Pointing at the obvious: Might this be a case of one bad RAM stick? What happens if you have the "missing" stick switch place with a found one (just to be sure)?

Cheers
Olle
Sponsored links