Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Hardware > Peripheral Hardware

Peripheral Hardware The forum is for everything outside the computer case.

Unread 28th February 2009, 05:39 PM
Terabyte
Send a message via MSN to RagingShadow07
Gaming Mice

My old MX518 I've had for about 6 months is starting to fall apart on me. The feet won't stay on, and the scroll wheel has got loose, so I'm looking into a better gaming mouse.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to two, but can't decide. It's either the Razer Lachesis or the Logitech G9. (May have messed the links up, sorry)

I've been using Logitech for a long while now, so I'm leaning towards the G9, but I've heard good (and very bad) things about Razer, plus I kind of like the design of the Lachesis.

Any advice/opinions on which I should get? And for those of you that either use Razer products, or have used them before, is the product quality bad? I've seen people having problems with a few of the products in the past, when reading reviews.

-Thanks.
Unread 28th February 2009, 08:33 PM
Kilobyte
Just for background information's sake, I've got a logitech Mx-1000 ,supposedly the first generation Logitech laser mouse, and the Razer Lachesis.

Have you held both mice and felt what it's like?
The Lachesis has a very low profile which makes it aesthetically nice, but ,depending on your style of use, sometimes leaves my wrists sore. Some people find that the tracking doesn't get picked up by the computer after cold boots. The buttons click and work but the pointer won't move. The problem is sometimes relieved by an update in motherboard BIOS somtimes not. Personally, my Lachesis has a fity fifty chance of being picked up. Most people don't have this problem so this shouldn't play too much of a impact on your decision. The driver software is simple and easy enough to use when customizing button functions and profiles. When the mouse does works (Remember to have a good mouse pad. It's a shame to spend all the cash and lose dpi or smooth tracking because of a bad surface.) the techology really shines. At a 1000hz sampling rate and 4000dpi the mouse performs as well as the box says it will. Of course at those setting any human error or any humanity in general will greatly decrease performance.

As for Logitechs, I don't have any experience with the G9 but Logitechs are the current standard in peripherals so I can't imagine the experience being too bad.

Personally I would wait and save money. Razer is going to release the Mamba (featuring wireless and wired functions and a more ergonomic design ) and Logitech the G9x.

By the way what's the most important aspect of a mouse for you? Or is the mouse you're looking for a completely "gaming" dedicated mouse?
Unread 28th February 2009, 08:58 PM
Terabyte
I'd prefer a gaming branded mouse over normal mice, but that's more since the Lachesis/G9 have most of what I'm looking for. Sensitivity increase/decrease is important, and most gaming mice have that. As well as the scroll wheel tilt left/right buttons that my MX518 doesn't have. Macros would be great to have, and I'm pretty sure both the Lachesis and G9 have that. G9 has one extra feature I was looking for, which is the MicroGear free-scroll wheel. I think the Lachesis has more buttons (2 on the right side and 2 on the left for a left and right handed mouse, isn't it?) as well as looking better than the G9. When is the Mamba supposed to be out? Razer's site said it was supposed to ship in 4-6 weeks last time I checked...
Unread 28th February 2009, 09:17 PM
Executive Editor
For what it's worth, I've reviewed the Logitech G9 3200 dpi Laser USB Gaming Mouse

I find it to be a very good fit for larger 'man' hands. If you have smaller hands, the low-profile Razor mouse might feel nicer.
Unread 28th February 2009, 09:35 PM
Terabyte
Oh, awesome, I didn't know you wrote a review on the G9. I'm pretty much convinced to get one now, since the feet are replaceable. Do you know if Logitech offers spare grips for it as well? If so, I'm pretty sure we have a winner here.
Unread 28th February 2009, 10:12 PM
Executive Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingShadow07 View Post
Oh, awesome, I didn't know you wrote a review on the G9. I'm pretty much convinced to get one now, since the feet are replaceable. Do you know if Logitech offers spare grips for it as well? If so, I'm pretty sure we have a winner here.
Yes, it comes with two. You should take a look at the review... it's one of my more detailed pieces.
Unread 28th February 2009, 10:32 PM
Terabyte
It's a great review. What I was asking though, was if for example, one of the grips wears out, or you lose one (I honestly can't think of any reason someone would lose one, but, just in case), do you know if Logitech sells extras of each of the grips?
Unread 1st March 2009, 08:29 AM
Executive Editor
That's a good question. They were supposed to offer a larger replacement as aftermarket, but with their company facing financial ruin I doubt they moved forward with that plan.
Unread 1st March 2009, 09:00 AM
Terabyte
Hm, I did a google search for G9 spare parts, and apparently they have spare parts of everything that comes with the G9. I'm pretty much convinced that this will be the mouse I'll be getting now. What did you mean by financial ruin, by the way?
Unread 14th March 2011, 06:31 PM
Bit
Why not the g7? Here's a list of some more gaming mouse options.

I even really like the Logitech MX518 as well. Super cheap but it works really well on my PC.
Sponsored links