Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Software > Operating Systems

Operating Systems Discuss the latest bug, patch, or new release in this section.

Unread 8th March 2013, 05:05 PM
Gigabyte
Send a message via MSN to Remacno
Motherboard will only boot from CD/DVD.

I built this computer a few years ago, but recently built a new computer to throw my hard drive in. I put my mother's hard drive in my old build. I reset the BIOS to its original settings and adjusted the boot order to the following:
First: Hard Disk
Second: CDROM
I have not third boot option, even disabled it since I don't need it.
After saving my BIOS settings and restarting the computer, I allow it to attempt to boot, and it still says Boot from CD/DVD. If I re-enter the BIOS settings and check the boot order, it still says what I set it to, but only boots from CD/DVD first.
The hard drive is detected, the CD/DVD drive is detected and will allow it to boot with the installation disc in the drive. I have not tried to install Windows 7 on the hard drive, yet. Would that make a difference on the boot order since the hard drive is nothing more than a blank slate at the moment?
My motherboard is a Gigabyte EP43.
Unread 8th March 2013, 07:59 PM
Executive Editor
Does the BIOS see that hard drive? It sounds like it's not finding any device on the SATA connectors.
Unread 9th March 2013, 04:49 AM
Gigabyte
Actually. I think that I know what the problem is. Yes, the BIOS does detect the hard drive, but will not boot from it regardless of whether I have it set as primary boot option because the drive is new. Nothing is installed on it. It could also be freezing when I insert the thumb drive because there are no drivers installed for the USB controllers?

Just a thought. Getting a new copy of Windows 7 for my mom's computer to install on the hard drive since the hard drive is detectable in the Windows Install menu and the BIOS.

Not too familiar with the system part of a new computer build, so I am thinking that my problem is fairly simple just like the last 4 were. Lol

On another note. If I used the Win 7 disc that I am buying to install a copy on my computer as a full install but do not activate it, can I install my Win 7 upgrade package or does the original install have to be activated?

Last edited by Remacno : 9th March 2013 at 05:50 AM.
Unread 9th March 2013, 04:32 PM
Executive Editor
We wrote a whole guide on how to use an ungrade version for full install here: Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade and Installation
Unread 9th March 2013, 05:01 PM
Gigabyte
I know how to do it as a full install and trick the system into activating. Figured that one out myself. The only problem is that I want to do a full install and upgrade to 64-bit, since a clean install will only allow me to go 32-bit.

But the other problem sounds right? Won't attempt anything but CD/DVD since the computer is bare and no drives are installed?
Unread 10th March 2013, 07:56 AM
Executive Editor
Why would you install 32-bit and then upgrade to 64-bit? You're much better off installing 64-bit right from the start.

If there's no partition on the HDD then it will skip past it in the POST boot.
Unread 10th March 2013, 11:18 AM
Gigabyte
Well. I could swear that I tried doing a 64-bit clean install with my upgrade pack before, but it told me that I had to have a 32-bit install already in place to upgrade. I could be wrong. A friend is giving me a "corporate" copy of Windows 7 32 and 64 bit today, so I will no longer need my "upgrade" pack anymore.
Can't wait to get my new computer build up and running...my new Acer 23" LED LCD monitor blew up, though. Lol I am having a ton of bad luck lately. XD
Unread 10th March 2013, 11:18 AM
Gigabyte
And as far as the HDD issue, that's what I thought and will have that fixed later this evening. First...time for bed. Thanks for all the help, Ollin!
Unread 11th March 2013, 03:53 PM
Gigabyte
Alright. Problem solved. Now to focus on fixing my computer. Got the copy of Win 7 CE so I can now install without an activation prompt.