Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Software > Operating Systems

Operating Systems Discuss the latest bug, patch, or new release in this section.

Unread 3rd August 2009, 01:57 PM
Gigabyte
Send a message via ICQ to Daryl Greene Send a message via AIM to Daryl Greene Send a message via MSN to Daryl Greene Send a message via Yahoo to Daryl Greene Send a message via Skype™ to Daryl Greene
Well, if all you're doing is web surfing and minimal office type stuff Linux is OK I guess. I like to play games like Unreal Tournament, CoD4, Crysis. etc. So, it is a waste of time for me to even fool with it.
Unread 1st February 2010, 07:57 PM
Byte
I used to use Linux Mint (an OS based off Ubuntu) as my main OS a while back. It served me well. I was dual-booting XP at the time, and booted into that partition whenever I wanted to play any sort of PC games.

I finally realized the process of booting into my XP partition was far too time consuming, so after much debate, I deleted my Linux partition and just stuck with XP.
Unread 23rd April 2010, 11:03 AM
Bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew Thompson View Post
My preferred version of Linux is Debian for a few reasons.

A) It's usually very well-tested and doesn't have a lot of stability issues.
B) The APT-GET repositories make installing common apps easy
C) It can be installed to suit both home computing and servers.

I use Debian for my web server and I find that it was both the most stable and easiest to setup of all the versions I've tried. However, I refuse to ever use Linux as a home computer until they remove any necessity to use command line, which has not happened yet.
I would look at various things for servers, including Debian, RHEL or CentOS, and OpenSolaris.

I started using Debian back when buzz or rex came out. I've used it off and on ever since for various things. However, for a desktop box I prefer Ubuntu at this point. It works quite well for that. (I've heard it makes a good server too, but I haven't tried it for that.)

Why would you want to not use the command line? It's simply a better interface for performing some tasks.

I have my wife using Ubuntu on her netbook, and she likes it better than the Win 7 that's on her desktop. Actually, I think the only time I had to open an xterm on it to do something was when I wanted to tweak the mount options for ext3 to better suit an SSD. I might have been able to do that with a GUI, but it was far easier to just open an xterm and "sudo vi /etc/fstab"
Unread 23rd April 2010, 11:19 AM
Bit
I feel that at this point it really comes down to the apps you want to use. If you have specific apps that you want to use and they only work on one platform, then you need to use that platform.

If your needs are more generic, you may have several options.

Linux on the desktop has actually been for several years or more at the point where the average desktop computer user would have no problem at all using Linux instead of Windows. There are still some areas where you have to be wiling to learn or else have someone available who can hold your hand, but that's true of Windows too.
Unread 23rd April 2010, 11:39 AM
Bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Greene View Post
Well, if all you're doing is web surfing and minimal office type stuff Linux is OK I guess. I like to play games like Unreal Tournament, CoD4, Crysis. etc. So, it is a waste of time for me to even fool with it.
I"m not a gamer (or at least not since when I used to play Commander Keen and Duke Nukem on DOS). So I don't know much about games like you mention.

However, there _are_ games available for Linux, and you can also run some Windows games using WINE or some other related packages.

As for it being a waste of time, you would probably find that you learn a lot about how a computer works if you used Linux. A lot of that is transferable right back to Window, so you might find that you're better able to use Windows after using Linux.

It's also good to see different ways of doing things. It keeps you thinking and gives you fresh new ideas.

I have a PC running Windows 7 x64 at home, and I also have a PC running Linux, a Sun SPARC running Solaris, and a Mac running OS X. I like being able to use all of them, and I'd feel limited if I had to choose only one.
Unread 28th May 2012, 02:43 AM
Bit
Guess this is kind of thread resurection, but...

I've only been running various versions of Linux on ALL (3 plus one I never really use) my PCs for about 6ish years now.

I've used a lot distros (Gentoo, Arch, Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, etc.) and at this point I think I'm preferring mint or arch.

Ubuntu's UI experiments irritate me somewhat.

All I can say about the experience in general -- so much easier than dealing with Windows. Stuff just works, you don't have to endlessly input license codes if you reinstall, etc.

Wine tends to work really well for old games (Baldur's Gate, Deus Ex, etc.), it's great for audio editing (ardour), very convenient for vector graphics and publishing type stuff (Inkscape, Gimp, Scribus, etc.), it's even got a decent developing RAW editing (darktable) and Bibble or whatever Corel product it is now.

You can turn your old PC into a dual nic NAT box and file server with torrents and VPN, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Video playback is great, especially with VDPAU (nvidia card) or intel.

The only thing missing is gaming. (Unless you're happy with open source games.)
Sponsored links