Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Hardware > Modders Showroom

Modders Showroom Projects only power tools and elbow grease could create.

Unread 21st February 2008, 07:57 PM
Bit
Custom Homemade watercooling system for pc

Lately the watercoling in the market are rising with many kind of product and kind, after all latest cpu and vga created large consume of heat and not to mention the 'coolness' if it equipped on our pc. So for any modders if they having thought to create their own homemade stuff this maybe a great idea to make your own self a watercoling system

Im planning on to do like this guy doing his watercooling system
http://www.webx.dk/oz2cpu/pcmod/water.htm

Altough it takes a lot of times it will be fun ....
Unread 22nd February 2008, 07:35 AM
Kilobyte
Send a message via AIM to Party Pants
I don't see how making your own can save money. Even if you own great machining equipment and are very skilled at using it... the time, materials, and potential that your design doesn't work (well or at all) are pretty big. I'd rather get pieces from a company that paid engineers to design them, experienced machinists to build them, and has published reviews out there to prove they work properly.
Unread 22nd February 2008, 08:44 AM
Megabyte
Send a message via AIM to cesium
I agree. A block like hte one that guy made isn't gonna come anywhere near the performance of something like a dtek fuzion or something.

also, i would argue against the fact that it is completely needed. look at the new 45nm penryns. the dual core models only output 35 watts of heat at full load, and can easily be taken to 4+ghz with some good air cooling.
Unread 22nd February 2008, 10:12 AM
Kilobyte
Send a message via AIM to Party Pants
Yeah - with processor power efficiency, and the great gains in air cooling... I see water cooling as almost unnecessary.
Unread 22nd February 2008, 12:40 PM
Gigabyte
Send a message via ICQ to edge Send a message via Yahoo to edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by evana View Post
Lately the need of watercoling for the system are required,
That's not necessarily true, if anything the last 2 releases of core 2's and core quads are running cooler than before.

Edit: I should have read the whole post.
Making it from scratch while an interesting venture for sure, but it would be to expensive. You can build a fairly simple wcing rig pretty cheap.
Unread 6th October 2008, 06:37 PM
Bit
The cooling you require is relative to the needs of what you wish to do. If you want to just do really high benches for short durations then go liquid nitrogen. If you want high sustainable medium to high overclocks then go watercooling. If your doing medium or no overclocks then stick with air or heck even the stock cooling.

Watercooling is not cheap and you pretty much get what you pay for.

***Old thread I know but threw in my 2 cents***
Unread 7th August 2009, 12:24 AM
Gigabyte
Send a message via ICQ to Daryl Greene Send a message via AIM to Daryl Greene Send a message via MSN to Daryl Greene Send a message via Yahoo to Daryl Greene Send a message via Skype™ to Daryl Greene
It's funny to look at the remarks and how they are way off topic. evana was talking about making a SILENT system and all you guys can talk about is how expensive and unnecessary a water cooling system is. The fact is that if you want to reduce noise, it is a good idea to go liquid cool. Remember..... reading comprehension is a good thing! :-)
Unread 7th August 2009, 09:57 PM
Megabyte
As an aside, reliability of water cooling kits are quite low. Even the really expensive kits used in Alienware computers fail. A friend of mine had a WoW guildmate who bought a very high end Alienware computer complete with water cooling, only to have the tubes burst and drown the computer.

In the end, I just don't trust water cooling unless I'm doing it myself so that I can ensure that I over glue everything.
Unread 9th August 2009, 07:32 AM
Gigabyte
Send a message via ICQ to Daryl Greene Send a message via AIM to Daryl Greene Send a message via MSN to Daryl Greene Send a message via Yahoo to Daryl Greene Send a message via Skype™ to Daryl Greene
I always thought it would be best to have solid lines (copper, brass, whatever) soldered to the blocks and running all the way out of the case to help ensure that leaks are outside rather than in. But, since there are a lot of non-conductive additives out there......
Unread 10th August 2009, 02:01 AM
Terabyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Greene View Post
It's funny to look at the remarks and how they are way off topic. evana was talking about making a SILENT system and all you guys can talk about is how expensive and unnecessary a water cooling system is. The fact is that if you want to reduce noise, it is a good idea to go liquid cool.
There are plenty of examples how to build a really quiet (<20dB(A)) computer using the regular heatpipe coolers. The water pumps alone used by most liquid coolers are often noisier than a quiet system without liquid cooling.
If you want liquid cooling to reach the same or lower noise level the cooling components alone will cost a minimum of $400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Greene View Post
I always thought it would be best to have solid lines ... soldered to the blocks and running all the way out of the case...
Tested and discarded!
The problem is that as the temperature varies the pipes vary in size and length. This cause plenty of tension on the block/component interfaces.
The solution is to use shorter pieces of flexible tubing to connect the different parts of solid pipes.

Cheers
Olle
Sponsored links