Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Software > General Software Forum

General Software Forum Discuss all other software related topics, or anything else with a byte to it.

Unread 10th August 2010, 03:15 PM
Gigabyte
Send a message via ICQ to Daryl Greene Send a message via AIM to Daryl Greene Send a message via MSN to Daryl Greene Send a message via Yahoo to Daryl Greene Send a message via Skype™ to Daryl Greene
Google searches being hijacked

Recently I somehow got that Antivir Solution Pro rogue program on my PC. Between AVG and Malwarebyte's I apparently got most of it off. Since then, most of my Google searches seem to be getting hijacked. Here is an image of a typical search.

I have no clue at this point what i need to do to get this working properly. I would like to get the normal google responses rather than being given all these ridiculous search responses. Any suggestions?
Unread 10th August 2010, 04:12 PM
Executive Editor
Clean your hosts file (Google this from a clean PC) and make sure your browsers aren't using a proxy connection.
Unread 10th August 2010, 06:00 PM
Gigabyte
Send a message via ICQ to Daryl Greene Send a message via AIM to Daryl Greene Send a message via MSN to Daryl Greene Send a message via Yahoo to Daryl Greene Send a message via Skype™ to Daryl Greene
Hosts file?
Unread 10th August 2010, 10:48 PM
Gigabyte
Cleaning the hosts file didn't seem to do a thing.
Unread 11th August 2010, 11:32 AM
Contributing Editor
I suggest trying HijackThis (http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/)

Install and run in safe mode for best results.
Unread 11th August 2010, 07:19 PM
Gigabyte
I have no serious understanding of what hijack this really does. All I know is that I get a report that really makes no sense to me.
Unread 12th August 2010, 07:01 AM
Contributing Editor
Maybe you could post the contents of your log file here for analysis.
Unread 13th August 2010, 04:21 PM
Gigabyte
OK, I tried to post my hijackthis log, but it never would go through when I clicked submit. Last night I used combofix to try to fix the issue. Now I can't connect with any browser whatsoever. I even instslled google chrome fresh and no go. I guess at this point, I am going to have to do a XP re-install. That is unless someone has an idea. Before you ask, I do know that firefox isn't set to use any proxies. Nor was it when this issue started.

I also have an IDE drive that now fails to be identified. So, I am screwed there as well.

Just so you know, my posts today are being made from my wife's Blackberry Curve.

Last edited by Daryl Greene : 13th August 2010 at 04:32 PM.
Unread 13th August 2010, 10:20 PM
Gigabyte
OK, got system restore to work. I still can't post the hijackthis to post though. Whatever this is, it must know that I am doing just that. I made this post without the log file as well as edited it. But, every time I add the log, it refuses to post. I guess I'll try later from my wife's PC. That is if she ever gets off it. I even tried to just upload the .txt file the hijackthis log is in and it won't do that either!

Last edited by Daryl Greene : 13th August 2010 at 10:27 PM.
Unread 14th August 2010, 12:56 AM
Contributing Editor
Post the contents of the logfile wraped in code tags. (copy and paste the contents rather than posting the file itself)
Code:
 Like this :D