There is a problem with system freezes for PC gamers playing Battlefield 3 using Realtek HD audio (High Definition Audio Device). When playing BF3 online in a Punkbuster server using an integrated Realtek HD audio device on their motherboard, users may experience a complete system freeze after 5-10 minutes into the game. I can confirm this is a software problem, and not a flaw in the hardware (I've got my drive cloned, and the older versions before driver updates work fine).
I've seen systems with MSI Afterburner affected by this problem. Using the default "High Definition Audio Device" driver is also suggested, over Realtek's software.
Here is another possible solutions:
- Go into Control Panel, then Hardware & Sound, then choose Manage Audio Devices.
- Go into Speaker properties, then go to the Advanced tab
- Uncheck "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"
- Uncheck "Give exclusive mode applications priority"
- Go play Battlefield 3, and enjoy.