Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Hardware > Modders Showroom

Modders Showroom Projects only power tools and elbow grease could create.

Unread 18th May 2011, 07:57 AM
Kilobyte
As promised-here's the pictures.

This one is showing the storage HDD (the original one) and the motherboard clearance
http://img571.imageshack.us/i/storag...installed.jpg/

And a couple of shots showing the cable routing
http://img155.imageshack.us/i/cablerouting.jpg/
http://img204.imageshack.us/i/cablerouting2.jpg/

And finally, a picture of it on my desk!
http://img844.imageshack.us/i/deskll.jpg/ (yes, I like Mustangs)

There. My build is finished for now. What do you think?
Unread 19th May 2011, 06:06 AM
Kilobyte
As for the graphics card, my options are just about anything under 8 inches long. Looking at either the GTX 550 Ti from Galaxy or the GTX 560 (nonTi) from Palit. The GTX 550 would be a very easy fit, but I still think I might like the more pwerful card. After all, if I wanted easy I could have built an mATX machine
Unread 2nd July 2011, 07:35 AM
Kilobyte
OK, after a lot of thinking I installed a GTX 550 Ti card from Galaxy. Card is under 7.5 inches long. Only difficulty was the PCI connector is on the end. Just plug it in first,then install the card.

It made a dramatic improvement in graphics. Well worth the money and time. I am seeing things in Oblivion that I didnt know existed-like blowing grass, shadows, etc. Even the characters look better.

Now the hard part. When stressing the system the card gets hot and CPU gets hotter. Even just playing Oblivion the card gets rather warm. And going online to play Rappelz heats up the CPU. ( I discovered that game uses just one core but maxes it out! ) Rappelz uses under 50% of GPU.

Time to start modding again!

First mod was counter intuitive. The PSU is very close to the CPU and the fans fight each other for air. Since the CPU is located near the bottom front quarter of the PSU, I simply blocked off that part of the PSU fan. Result was a 5C drop in temp. while playing.

Next mod comming up is new case feet to make a little more space under the case, then cut a hole for the GPU to draw its own air. Right now it struggles to get cool air with its fan only 1/2 inch from the floor of case. As a temporary measure, I placed a 120mm fan next to case blowing air into the side. Not much gets through, but its enough to drop GPU temps over 8C. Confirms my suspicion that GPU needs a way to get some air. The fan also lets the CPU run a little cooler as well.

After hole mod I will see if CPU will need aftermarket HSF. That will be difficult to choose. I have a height restriction and it needs to clear thePCIe slot ( I am not giving up my GPU! )

Pics will be coming!
Unread 2nd July 2011, 03:54 PM
Executive Editor
So far I really like the idea of focusing the PSU airflow, but agree that you'll need to add at least one bottom fan (if it will fit). I recomment a larger (more quiet) fan, such as a 140mm. That's if your enclosure can support something this large.
Unread 16th July 2011, 05:56 AM
Kilobyte
Case feet arrived today and after a trial fit I have decided they look great. I also got an additional USB header cable. I am going to add 2 more USB 2.0 ports and put the Bluetooth dongle in that. I am not going to put them on the outside, just mount it close to the vents. According my frequency cut-off caluclations it should be fine.

I am going to wait for the CPU cooler, a Samuel 17, and the bluetooth dongle to get here before I start further mods. Mostly because I am going to have to disassemble it and only want to do that once.

As for another fan, I got enough space for a 140mm fan, except that the clearance between the GPU and case floor is only a half inch. The hole I make will be able to take a fan, since I am going to put a filter there, but I doubt I will need to. If I do, then it will have to be a slim 120mm fan.

The cooler should be arriving in a few days.
Unread 21st July 2011, 02:38 PM
Kilobyte
Parts arrived today!!. In my possession is a Samuel 17 CPU cooler, 4 Lian Li case feet, another Lian Li USB header cable, Bluetooth dongle, and Motorola Bluetooth earpiece. I am going to spend today getting it all together and taking pictues. I should have an update shortly.

Oh yeah, I already a Scythe 120mm fan for the cooler.
Unread 27th July 2011, 06:16 AM
Kilobyte
Sorry for the delay, but I have it together.
The Samuel 17 Cooler fit nicely. I tried it in two different orientations
The first way is the one usually shown

And the second way, which is how I ended up mounting it. I did it this way since I had heard that vertically mounted coolers like the heatpipes to be horizontal.

It does make for a tight fit. The 4 pin connector on the motherborad was going to be a toughie.

It clears the PCI slot without any issues. I was very relieved to see that it cleared the way I had wanted to install the cooler.

Now the only fan I hear running when gaming is the GPU fan. I am going to have to address airflow to the GPU. CPU runs ~38C @idle and I havent seen it go over 48C during use. Eventually I will run Prime95 just to see how effective the cooler is.

Last edited by Werner Wischerath : 27th July 2011 at 06:34 AM.
Unread 27th July 2011, 06:29 AM
Kilobyte
Now, I wanted to raised the case so I could open the bottom up for airflow to the GPU. I have the new feet installed, but lack the proper tools to make a clean opening. So I installed the feet and am trying to find a hole saw or nibbler to make the hole. I may have to wait unitl I get home to complete this mod, unless the care pakage from a friend of mine shows up soon. He is sending me a nibbler. If it shows up soon I will create the opening to help cool the GPU. From what I can tell the card isnt getting that hot (74C), but the fan is getting noisy.

But here are the feet put on the case.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/dsc00523n.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...sc00524dd.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/dsc00525r.jpg/

Notice I didnt have to drill any holes for the feet. For screws I used fan mounting screws. The ones that came with the feet were WAY too long and looked ugly. I liked this much more.

Last edited by Werner Wischerath : 27th July 2011 at 06:37 AM.
Sponsored links