Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Hardware > Overclockers Lounge

Overclockers Lounge Post your projects and results in this section.

Unread 30th August 2010, 11:06 PM
Gigabyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olin Coles View Post
Without testing in another motherboard, I can't be sure at all. 50/50?
Yeah. Not very good odds. I read that someone had the same problem and figured out that his RAM would only run it certain slots, as he bought "kits" like I did. I bought a 12GBG kit x6 modules at 2GB each. Another long shot, and I have no idea why one stick would only run in slot 3-1 but not in slot 3-2 on the same channel, given that all slots are filled. Seems stupid to me. I might send it to my friends in Connecticut and have him stuff it in his rig. He has the same rig as I do, but different RAM (still OCZ) and the Gig x58 UD7. Then I'd know for sure.

What leads me to think that the RAM sot thing is stupid, but still compelling, is that it's not always channel 3 that the BIOS can't show SPD timings for. I've seen it on all channels after laying with RAM in different slots. So I'm gonna bench it again and then go channel by channel until all the combinations are exhausted. I'll write back. Thanks for all the help too. I really appreciate it.
Unread 31st August 2010, 12:59 AM
Gigabyte
I just tested the RAM in all possible configurations, according to the MB specifications on number of sticks installed. What I found is that the culprit is always channel 3 when all 3 channels are full. I have tried 1-3-5 for a total of 6GB (2x 3 sticks), and the BIOS reports 6GBs.

Then I tried 1 stick at channel 1 (3-1). BIOS reports accurately.

Then four sticks for 8GB total in channels 1-2 all for slots filled, and the BIOS reports all 8GBs.

Windows now reports 8GB installed and available, with 3MBs reserved for hardware.

I recreated this several times on all accounts. The variable was always channel 3 when all channels were filled.

Windows now boots really fast and my CPU temp is idle at 34 with fans at 1/2 whereas it has been idling at 38-40 with fans cycling between 1/2 and 100%. I'm starting to think I may have a bad MB. What you say?
Unread 31st August 2010, 08:02 AM
Executive Editor
You originally said you had a 3x 4GB kit, and now you say it's a 6x 2GB kit. So which is it?

Here's the motherboard test: occupy DIMM slots 1-3-5 and see if the memory is correctly reported. Do the same thing for slots 2-4-6.

Also, what kind of motherboard is this? P55/X58? Report back.
Unread 31st August 2010, 05:03 PM
Gigabyte
Quote:
You originally said you had a 3x 4GB kit, and now you say it's a 6x 2GB kit. So which is it?

Here's the motherboard test: occupy DIMM slots 1-3-5 and see if the memory is correctly reported. Do the same thing for slots 2-4-6.

Also, what kind of motherboard is this? P55/X58? Report back.
Sorry for the confusion.

(1) 6 DIMMs at 2GB each
(2) X58 UD5 rev. 1
(3) I did the combination last night and each time it was the C channel when both slots were occupied. The Gigabyte x58 UD 5 rev. 1 specifies the following:

1 DIMM = Slot 1, Channel 1
2 DIMM = Slot 1-3, Channel 1-2
3 DIMM = Slots 1-3-5 in channels 1-2-3
4 DIMM = Slots 1-2-3-4 in Channels 1-2

There are no other combinations that the board supports, according to the manual.

Last night I retested:

Slot 1, Channel 1 - 1 DIMM OK

Slot 1-3-5 Channel 1-2-3 OK

Slot 1-2-3-4 Channel 1-2 OK

All slots filled: Post counts 8GB RAM, BIOS reports 8 with Channel C not reporting. Windows reports 12GB installed, 8 Usable.

Last edited by Doug Dallam : 31st August 2010 at 05:23 PM.
Unread 31st August 2010, 05:33 PM
Executive Editor
Just so I'm clear: there are only four DIMM slots on your motherboard? Also- have you flashed it to the latest BIOS?

If there are six slots, fill 1-3-5 and see if it reports correctly. Then do the same thing with slots 2-4-6.
Unread 31st August 2010, 05:41 PM
Gigabyte
Quote:
Just so I'm clear: there are only four DIMM slots on your motherboard? Also- have you flashed it to the latest BIOS?

If there are six slots, fill 1-3-5 and see if it reports correctly. Then do the same thing with slots 2-4-6.

There are three channels and 6 DIMM slots.

The board posts fine with 1-3-5 filled. But it does not support the combination of 3 DIMMs in slots 2-4-6. I can try it though. See above for what I already tested. See if my previous post makes sense now. You might have gotten me on an edit.
Unread 31st August 2010, 08:26 PM
Executive Editor
I realize it will POST file, but do you get the proper amount of memory reported? If you're able to occupy three slots and get the full 6GB as expected, then it's not the CPU at all. I'm betting that it's a motherboard restriction keeping you for occupying all six DIMMs.
Unread 1st September 2010, 12:58 AM
Gigabyte
Quote:
I realize it will POST file, but do you get the proper amount of memory reported? If you're able to occupy three slots and get the full 6GB as expected, then it's not the CPU at all. I'm betting that it's a motherboard restriction keeping you for occupying all six DIMMs.
Olin,

Yep. Right now I have 3 DIMMs installed for a total of 6GB in Channels 1-2-3 and slots 1-3-5. Windows reports 6 GB installed 6 usable.
Unread 1st September 2010, 08:03 AM
Executive Editor
Then it's the motherboard, and there's probably nothing you can do about it. A BIOS update might help, but it's doubtful. Many motherboards won't allow all six DIMM sockets to be populated with RAM.
Unread 1st September 2010, 03:56 PM
Gigabyte
Quote:
Then it's the motherboard, and there's probably nothing you can do about it. A BIOS update might help, but it's doubtful. Many motherboards won't allow all six DIMM sockets to be populated with RAM.
Well the manual says you can occupy all six up to 24GB. I tried the latest BIOS and it was the same deal.
Sponsored links