Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Parts Bin > Buy / Sell / Trade

Buy / Sell / Trade Buy, sell, or trade at your own risk!

Unread 19th May 2010, 07:49 AM
Executive Editor
AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Heka 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor Model HDZ720WFK3DGI - OEM
It costs $99, but it's clearly a Black Edition CPU.
Unread 19th May 2010, 09:45 AM
Terabyte
Send a message via MSN to RagingShadow07
Ohhhhhhh, I see. There was more than one 720 model on Newegg. Haha, sorry about that. Either will be a great choice, though. I'm pretty confident that either will best the Pentium in most benchmarks.
Unread 26th May 2010, 11:00 PM
Terabyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Greene View Post
everyone is obsessed with the ati cards. I bought one once ...... wasn't impressed.
I have the very same experience with ATI.
The computer I rented '98-'01 had an ATI Rage LT Pro graphics chip. While it was pretty fast compared to what I was used to it was far from state of the art, and even worse; it didn't support fog tables!
As time went on I decided to get a new computer with better graphics, while ATI stubbornly refused to implement fog tables with their drivers. "Never again ATI for me!", I decided.

About a year and a half ago I decided to have a new look at what ATI offers, this time through my wife's laptop featuring Radeon Xpress 1100. As I fired up my test program I realised that this time around the drivers do support fog tables, even though that's a feature that only had limited relevance ten years ago and AFAIK hasn't been used by any software released in the last five years.

At the same time reading up on reviews there's no doubt that ATI for the past few years has provided some of the best graphics performance for money and/or energy efficiency, not least with the current Radeon 5000 series.

My next GPU might very well be provided by ATI, and I suppose we can thank AMD for that!

Cheers
Olle
Unread 27th May 2010, 01:06 AM
Gigabyte
Send a message via ICQ to Daryl Greene Send a message via AIM to Daryl Greene Send a message via MSN to Daryl Greene Send a message via Yahoo to Daryl Greene Send a message via Skype™ to Daryl Greene
My issues with ATI were bad drivers and HEAT. Have yet to see one that didn't get seriously hot! My brothers step son has an ATI card in his pc and he has to keep the case open and a box fan blowing into it to keep it cool enough to run for long periods.
Unread 27th May 2010, 03:44 AM
Terabyte
Send a message via MSN to RagingShadow07
I had that happen to a friend who bought a... VisionTek, I think it was? ...4670. The fan gave out on it and he ended up using a box fan until he replaced it with a 9800GT... which then had the same problem.

The 5000 series have the lead in terms of heat on the GTX 200 series. I've been noticing my GTX 260 crawling up to the 80c area lately in gaming... I've been thinking of either getting an aftermarket heatsink (haven't decided which) or upgrading to a new card.
Unread 27th May 2010, 08:53 PM
Gigabyte
Send a message via ICQ to Daryl Greene Send a message via AIM to Daryl Greene Send a message via MSN to Daryl Greene Send a message via Yahoo to Daryl Greene Send a message via Skype™ to Daryl Greene
I had a copy of coretemp that kept track of my gpu temps for a while. Now they aren't offering that anymore. don't remember my temps getting much over 50c on a 9800gtx. I want to get an aftermarket cooler for it, but have no money these days.
Unread 27th May 2010, 09:47 PM
Gigabyte
The HD5000 temps are quite good, compared to Nvidia GTX 200 and more against GTX 400 series.
My HD5850 stays at 30ºC at idle and 60ºC at load. The fan is spinning at 20% so it´s practically silent. At load it goes up to 30% only.
Sponsored links