Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Software > General Software Forum

General Software Forum Discuss all other software related topics, or anything else with a byte to it.

Unread 27th January 2010, 10:26 PM
Executive Editor
Guide: Remove Malware, Spyware, and Virus Infections

Here's a very quick step-by-step I use to clean infected computers for clients:
  1. Download and install CCleaner. Check all option boxes except auto complete form history, windows size/location cache, and wipe free space. Run Cleaner.
  2. Go here: Microsoft Security Essentials Offers Free Anti-Virus Protection. Download and install, then update. Cancel the auto-scan after isntallation (uncheck box).
  3. Restart Windows in safe mode, (F8) and complete a full scan.
If you follow these instructions exactly as I've given them, and you can remove nearly all malware and virus infections if treated immediately after detection.
Unread 27th January 2010, 11:45 PM
Terabyte
It's definitely a good start, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olin Coles View Post
... you can remove nearly all malware and virus infections...
You can remove nearly all detected malware.
MSE, just like all other antimalware software, is unable to detect everything. Therefore I run scans with more than one antimalware program, especially if the computer is known or suspect of being infected.

I got my hands on one heavily infected computer. Initially it refused to run Secure-F (the standard antimalware software on that computer) as well as Spybot, because those were blocked by some malware. After running deep scans with Vipre and Ad-Aware, cleaning plenty of infections, the other two programs were able to run and detect more than a dozen additional infections.

Cheers
Olle
Unread 28th January 2010, 07:50 AM
Executive Editor
Olle, this is a three-step process to get most people back up and running. This is by no means a comprehensive guide, and it's also only half of what I do for most infected customer systems. Add in autoruns.exe for service and driver startup, some manual searches based on file creation/modified time, and you're closer to my routine.
Unread 23rd April 2010, 12:01 PM
Bit
I would prefer to use things like AVPTool, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and SuperAntiSpyware. I would follow up with some online scans.

CCleaner is quite useful, but it's mainly for normal cleanup and not so much for removing malware.

As for MSE, I'm simply not convinced that it is worthwhile. It's probably better than nothing, but there are much better solutions available, with many being free just like MSE.
Sponsored links