Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Hardware > General Hardware Forum

General Hardware Forum Discuss anything and everything hardware related here.

Unread 18th November 2009, 10:42 AM
Byte
Best HiEnd PC Case for Fastest PC

I would like to build PC with:
Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition Bloomfield 3.33GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601975 - Retail
Kingston HyperX 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400) Desktop Memory Model KHX1800C9D3T1FK3/6GX - Retail
SAPPHIRE 100281SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Retail
ASUS Rampage II Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Intel X25-E Extreme SSDSA2SH064G1 2.5" 64GB SATA II SLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - OEM

Please, say what PC Case will be best for this HiEnd PC. Maybe CM Storm Sniper Black?
Unread 18th November 2009, 11:44 AM
Senior Contributing Editor
You haven't said what kind of cooling system you plan to use.

The system you have listed is actually not very demanding, in terms of the case.
The only thing to watch out for is clearance for the fairly long video card.
I happen to think the CM Storm Sniper is an excellent case, but it's not absolutely required in order to support the components you've chosen.
constant danger, safe return journey doubtful.
Honour and recognition in case of success.

Ernest Shackleton
Unread 18th November 2009, 12:43 PM
Terabyte
Send a message via MSN to RagingShadow07
Have you had a look at the Coolermaster HAF 932? From experience using it, I can say it's a great case. Room for 5 HDD and 6 5.25" drives, supports E-ATX, 3 massive 230mm fans (better airflow than 120mm fans, but quieter), room for any 120mm heatsink and even the 12" 5970 (you could Crossfire them in this case if you wanted.)

Not to mention everything is pretty much 100% tool-less, with the option of putting screws in for the DVD drives if you want them to not shake a bit. Official support for longer PSUs too (the bottom PSU stand slides out to better hold long PSUs) and liquid cooling support (you could take out one of the 230mm fans and mount it at the top of the case.
Unread 18th November 2009, 02:02 PM
Contributing Editor
What sort of budget do you have for the case, Is cable routing important, also like Bruce said, what sort of cooling are you going to be using? Best bet would be any Recent Mid-ATX case in our Featured Reviews: Cases section.

Personally 1>CM storm Then 2>Xigmatek Midagrd-W then 3>Antec Nine Hundred

Ultimately, a PC case is personal to your own taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmoney.ws View Post
I would like to build PC with:
Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition Bloomfield 3.33GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601975 - Retail
Kingston HyperX 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400) Desktop Memory Model KHX1800C9D3T1FK3/6GX - Retail
SAPPHIRE 100281SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Retail
ASUS Rampage II Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Intel X25-E Extreme SSDSA2SH064G1 2.5" 64GB SATA II SLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - OEM

Please, say what PC Case will be best for this HiEnd PC. Maybe CM Storm Sniper Black?
Unread 18th November 2009, 03:30 PM
Byte
I would like to use standart cooling, not water.
Unread 18th November 2009, 05:07 PM
Gigabyte
I like Corsair Obsidian.
I see you´re having the house out of the window, so, you want this PC for gaming? I would recommend not getting the Intel i7 Extreme and you can use that money for case, Another GPU or whatever you need more. Or is it for ubber-overclocking?
Unread 18th November 2009, 05:39 PM
Contributing Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmoney.ws View Post
I would like to use standart cooling, not water.
Since you're not planning on using any exotic cooling, save yourself some money and get a D0-stepping i7-920 rather than the 965. You'll likely be able to overclock it to at least 3.8-4.0 gigaHertz (mine is very stable at 4gHz in the same Rampage Extreme II motherboard you're considering), and the 965 won't go significantly faster with just air cooling. The Extreme series processors really only come into their own when used with more elaborate cooling setups that let you overclock further.

You can use the $700 or so you'll save to stick a larger 256GB SSD in the system for your boot drive. The Intel SSDs used to set the pace, but you can get better performance and storage for less money these days.

One more note: the Rampage II Extreme is a very nice motherboard, festooned with LEDs and little switches to play with and even pads so you can use your own voltmeter to double check voltages. However, if I were doing it again, I'd probably get the Asus P6T Deluxe. It will overclock just as well in most cases, and, more importantly, its first two X16 slots are spaced two slots apart. If you ever want to set up a Crossfire or SLI rig, the Rampage II Extreme puts the two cards right next to each other, which starves the upper card of cooling air. On my system with two GTX280 cards, the upper card runs 7-10 degrees C hotter than the lower card.
Unread 18th November 2009, 06:11 PM
Gigabyte
I also have an Rampage II Extreme and I must say it´s quite good.
As David said, I would get a i7 920 and use the other for a better GPU, SSD and save money.
Almost any D0 i7 can get 4GHz without changing voltages that much.
Unread 18th November 2009, 11:28 PM
Terabyte
I'd suggest a combination of Antec P193 case (with good, quiet cooling and plenty of room for the lengthiest of graphics cards) and Antec CP-850 PSU which is extremely quiet in this type of computer case and relatively cheap on top of that.

Cheers
Olle
Unread 19th November 2009, 01:03 AM
Byte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
I'd suggest a combination of Antec P193 case (with good, quiet cooling and plenty of room for the lengthiest of graphics cards) and Antec CP-850 PSU which is extremely quiet in this type of computer case and relatively cheap on top of that.

Cheers
Olle
I not need cheap. I need HiEnd PC case. Price not important
Sponsored links