Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Hardware > Networking

Networking All WiFi, LAN, WAN, and Internet related discussions belong in here.

Unread 22nd April 2009, 12:03 PM
Gigabyte
Send a message via MSN to Remacno
WiFi Legal Issues

Alright, so I have these problems with these boys down the street that come hang out next door to my house. Every time they are around, my WiFi goes haywire! My internet slows, and everything goes wonky.

I have no problem with this as I know that I can password protect my WiFi access. However, my mother, on the other hand, wants to catch the little punks doing it. Is there a way that you can prove that it is them doing it? We know that they are going online with 2 stolen iPod touches if that helps any.

I would rather my mom and my brothers stop asking me, thinking I am going to know the answer, and I hate to bother you guys with such trivial questions. I appreciate your time!

~REM~

*PS: I know the range on my WiFi is roughly 15 yards and they could easily gain access from our next door neighbors yard...about mid way anyway!*
Unread 22nd April 2009, 12:57 PM
Terabyte
I wouldn't bother trying to catch them red handed. Instead I'd bother about what they might do to my computers and what they use the net for.
What's your response when FBI, FDA, NSA or DHS comes charging in due to illegal activities performed from your network?
Oh, and don't forget to make sure there's no malware planted in your computers.

My own WLAN is WPA2 protected, and I wouldn't dream of having it active without that protection. (Forget about WEP, that's something a script kiddie cracks in less than 15 minutes.)

Cheers
Olle
Unread 22nd April 2009, 02:03 PM
Gigabyte
You have a valid point! Although, I didn't know that if someone goes and does something illegal online through a mobile device via my WiFi, I could get in trouble for it. I will keep that in mind a tighten the security on my modem/router. Thanks for the heads up...those little punks are trying to get all of us locked up so I wouldn't put it past them to do something like that.

What I don't understand is why those idiots have a problem with me when I just friggin met them and never said a word to them. When I first met them, I heard bad things about them so I started doing sign language. Hahaha, they thought I was a mute! LOL
Unread 22nd April 2009, 10:46 PM
Gigabyte
Send a message via ICQ to Daryl Greene Send a message via AIM to Daryl Greene Send a message via MSN to Daryl Greene Send a message via Yahoo to Daryl Greene Send a message via Skype™ to Daryl Greene
Just make sure to secure the wifi. If you aren't using it see if it can be shut off. I have a wireless router and I turned off the wifi so no one can get on my network.
Unread 23rd April 2009, 12:33 AM
Terabyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remacno View Post
What I don't understand is why those idiots have a problem with me ...
Quite the opposite! They're thrilled and very happy with the fact that you run an open WLAN for them to use. Absolutely no problem...

The problems are all yours...

/Olle
Unread 23rd April 2009, 02:38 PM
Executive Editor
If they are close enough to your home that they stand inside the property line, contact authorities for trespassing.
Unread 24th April 2009, 02:29 AM
Gigabyte
Send a message via ICQ to Daryl Greene Send a message via AIM to Daryl Greene Send a message via MSN to Daryl Greene Send a message via Yahoo to Daryl Greene Send a message via Skype™ to Daryl Greene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olin Coles View Post
If they are close enough to your home that they stand inside the property line, contact authorities for trespassing.
You know, that is a great idea right there!
Unread 22nd May 2009, 09:13 AM
Gigabyte
Lol Yeah, but these rednecks are not that stupid. They had my older brother tossed in jail just because his foot touched their grass when they threw him back in a street fight. Stupid hicks, they are out there every day firing a gun in a residential area, which I believe is AGAINST THE LAW!!! We have called the cops on them for that I don't know how many times but every time it's the same thing, "There's nothing we can do!"

Cops are straight up useless in Goose Creek and one reason that the men won't do anything is because half of the Goose Creek PD is sleeping with their mother. Ignorant inbred hillbillies! lol
Unread 23rd May 2009, 12:26 AM
Gigabyte
Hell, I thought that was what video cameras were for these days. Get them on video and then get the cops on video refusing to do anything then send it to the local news. Just keep your silly butt off camera.
Unread 23rd May 2009, 07:17 AM
Executive Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Greene View Post
Hell, I thought that was what video cameras were for these days. Get them on video and then get the cops on video refusing to do anything then send it to the local news. Just keep your silly butt off camera.
Good idea (as well)! Just set up a digital video camera outside your home and zoom it in. I have a pre-HD digital video camera that zooms about a mile (although you want to avoid digital zoom and only use optical zoom where possible). Plug it into an outside socket, and start recording!