Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Software > Operating Systems

Operating Systems Discuss the latest bug, patch, or new release in this section.

Unread 24th January 2009, 12:31 AM
Gigabyte
Send a message via ICQ to Daryl Greene Send a message via AIM to Daryl Greene Send a message via MSN to Daryl Greene Send a message via Yahoo to Daryl Greene Send a message via Skype™ to Daryl Greene
Question for Win7

Back when I had Win95/98 I knew where to find nearly everything. Right now I would like to ask if anyone knows where to find the file that stores all the cd keys and such in XP/Vista/Windows7?

Also, is there a way to transfer some of that info from one to the other? I installed Windows 7, but I don't want to have to install all my apps to get them to work. I was hoping to be able to transfer the key info from XP to Ver.7.

Tried to run UT 2K4 from Ver.7, but it says that the key is invalid and I know a lot of the others will do the same. Any ideas?
Unread 24th January 2009, 08:08 AM
Executive Editor
It sounds like you are referring to the Windows Registry. When programs and applications are installed, they have critical file location and reference data written to the Windows Registry. The Registry is not a play for the inexperienced, as one mistake can possibly render the system unusable.
Unread 24th January 2009, 12:47 PM
Gigabyte
Send a message via ICQ to Daryl Greene Send a message via AIM to Daryl Greene Send a message via MSN to Daryl Greene Send a message via Yahoo to Daryl Greene Send a message via Skype™ to Daryl Greene
Well, back when I had win95/98 there was an actual file that the info was contained in, I just can't even remember what it was back then. It wasn't the registry though. It is possible that the registry is where it all is now and the file I am looking for was dispensed with.
Unread 24th January 2009, 12:52 PM
Executive Editor
Well, Windows still uses a WPA file for registration, but it's become a lot more complex.
Unread 24th January 2009, 08:57 PM
Gigabyte
So, where do I find it?
Unread 27th January 2009, 02:41 PM
Bit
http://www.download.com/Magical-Jell...html?tag=mncol works for windows XP donno if it works for windows 7 though.
In the worst case you could always get a new copy from microsoft.
Unread 28th January 2009, 02:15 AM
Gigabyte
Spectrum, Thanks for the effort, but it isn't that I need to find my Windblows key. It is that there was a file (not the registry) that used to have ALL the product keys in it for ALL the software installed on the system. What I wanted to do, if possible, was to find the file in XP (if it is still is used) and see if I couldn't transfer some of my product keys so I didn't have to reinstall them. I just want them to work under Win. 7 so I can test how they perform with this new OS.

The reason is that I checked after I installed Win. 7 and it says that the key is invalid and to reinstall. But, I expect it might screw something up with XP if I do a reinstall to get it to work under Win. 7. Also, I don't want to install these programs in multiple locations either.
Unread 16th October 2009, 10:20 AM
Contributing Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Greene View Post
Spectrum, Thanks for the effort, but it isn't that I need to find my Windblows key. It is that there was a file (not the registry) that used to have ALL the product keys in it for ALL the software installed on the system.
I don't think there ever was such a file. Admittedly, it's been a decade or so since I did any Windows development, but I've never heard of anything like that-- it would be a massive security hole (of course, that kind of describes the whole XP OS, doesn't it?)

AFAIK there's no standard way for a product to store its activation key. Most do so in the Registry, and in most cases the key is encrypted, but the developers are free to do anything they want.
Unread 16th October 2009, 10:27 AM
Executive Editor
Way to resurrect a dead thread, David. ;p

There actually is a file, but I'm not going to discuss that sort of thing here since only illegitimate copies of Windows mess with it.
Unread 16th October 2009, 10:46 AM
Contributing Editor
Interesting. We certainly didn't use it for whatever version of OmniPage Pro/Windows I was working on in the late 90s...
Sponsored links