Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Hardware > General Hardware Forum

General Hardware Forum Discuss anything and everything hardware related here.

Unread 15th October 2008, 12:10 PM
Kilobyte
If you're looking for another drive, I've heard good things about the Seagate ST3640323AS
Edit: I did some more checking and this drive doesn't have the greatest access times. Read and burst speeds are decent though.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1342467

My personal drive of choice is the WD6400AAKS. They're fast, and I haven't had any failures yet, although I don't know how they'd perform in a server environment.

Last edited by Matt Williams : 15th October 2008 at 12:24 PM.
Unread 24th June 2010, 01:39 AM
Contributing Editor
I have 2x1.5 7200.11 in my personal server, and 1x1.5 7200.11 for a video editing rig, and they are going strong hopefully i will have 2 more 1.5 by the end of summer
Unread 25th November 2010, 01:30 AM
Gigabyte
Send a message via ICQ to Daryl Greene Send a message via AIM to Daryl Greene Send a message via MSN to Daryl Greene Send a message via Yahoo to Daryl Greene Send a message via Skype™ to Daryl Greene
Slightly OT but, with a 2TB drive, would you format it as a single drive or break it into several virtual drives?
Unread 1st December 2010, 04:54 PM
Gigabyte
Send a message via ICQ to Daryl Greene Send a message via AIM to Daryl Greene Send a message via MSN to Daryl Greene Send a message via Yahoo to Daryl Greene Send a message via Skype™ to Daryl Greene
Well, I guess no one has an opinion on my question?
Unread 6th December 2010, 06:41 AM
Terabyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Greene View Post
Slightly OT but, with a 2TB drive, would you format it as a single drive or break it into several virtual drives?
Depends on the use. If it's your only physical drive, then multiple partitions help keeping things tidy. (I use one partition for the OS, one for programs and one for file storage.)

Cheers
Olle
Unread 6th December 2010, 04:31 PM
Gigabyte
The HDD is one of those 5900rpm Seagate drives. Seems to work decently. just don't know if it will slow it down after I get a large amount of data stored on it. Right now I only have about 27GB stored on it so it seems to run pretty quick.

I always heard that breaking a large drive up made accessing information stay at a faster rate. Sounds hokey to me, but who knows? Never played with the different possibilities to see.
Unread 6th December 2010, 08:16 PM
Senior Contributing Editor
I just did two partitions: one for the OS and then the rest. The performance boost is real. I didn't test mine, I let other people do the testing.... Then I just applied their knowledge. Make sure you choose a decent size for the OS partition. It gets real messy if you need to adjust the partition size. OTOH, the smaller you make it, the faster it is....

Honestly though, the best bang for the buck is a $90 SSD as the boot drive. You won't believe the difference.

Quote:
The HDD is one of those 5900rpm Seagate drives. Seems to work decently. just don't know if it will slow it down after I get a large amount of data stored on it. Right now I only have about 27GB stored on it so it seems to run pretty quick.

I always heard that breaking a large drive up made accessing information stay at a faster rate. Sounds hokey to me, but who knows? Never played with the different possibilities to see.
constant danger, safe return journey doubtful.
Honour and recognition in case of success.

Ernest Shackleton
Unread 7th December 2010, 12:05 AM
Terabyte
Quote:
I always heard that breaking a large drive up made accessing information stay at a faster rate. Sounds hokey to me, but who knows?
There is, at least in theory, a real performance boost based on the fact that the reading head won't have to travel that far between the endpoints of the partition, thus somewhat reducing the read/write times.

The actual performance boost depends on two factors:
1) How much data fragmentation is there?
The performance boost compared to a bigger partition is somewhat proportional to the level of fragmentation. With frequent (weekly or more often) defragmentation runs this shouldn't be a problem in the first place.
2) How often does the head have to switch between partitions?
If it has to constantly alternate between partitions the result might be reduced rather than increased performance.

Cheers
Olle
Sponsored links