Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Software > Web Design & Development

Web Design & Development Discussion ranging from HTML to SEO, PHP to XML, and everything else inbetween.

Unread 26th February 2008, 09:31 AM
Executive Editor
Change Joomla Search Word Limit

I recently tried to find information on how to easily change the searchword limit in Joomla, beyond the default value of 20 and found nothing of the sort in terms of a guide. So here's how I did it for Joomla version 1.0.15.

You will need to begin by setting the maximum number of characters you want the search box to display. This variable is set in the Modules - Site Modules - Search edit menu. Keep your characters inside the search box, or else you'll have long searches moving the entire site over.

Next, use a strong text editor or html editor to change variables in several key Joomla files. Some of these files may not be relevant to your change, but they all reference the searchword limit, so it's best to be thorough. Here are the steps to take if you want to change the searchword limit from 20 to 40 as an example:
  1. components/com_search/search.html.php
    • Change: maxlength="20"
    • Into: maxlength="40"
  2. components/com_search/search.html.php
    • Change: if ( strlen( $searchword ) > 20 ) {
    • Into: if ( strlen( $searchword ) > 40 ) {
  3. modules/mod_search.php
    • Change: $width = intval( $params->get( 'width', 20 ) );
    • Into: $width = intval( $params->get( 'width', 40 ) );
That's it! Once you have made these changes, your search word box will now use the specified number of characters in the performance of a search. But with all of the extra power, you might consider one last change.

To change the default value of the Joomla Search function from "Any Words" into "All Words", add the following line of code into components/com_search/search.php.

Below: $mainframe->setPageTitle( _SEARCH_TITLE );
Add: if($_REQUEST['searchphrase']=='') { $_REQUEST['searchphrase']=$_GET['searchphrase']='all'; }

Please post here if this was helpful to you, or there are any questions.
Unread 10th March 2008, 02:21 PM
Bit
Any ideas about 1.5?

Do you know how to do this in Joomla 1.5?

Thanks.
Unread 10th March 2008, 02:54 PM
Executive Editor
It's my understanding that this problem still exists in Joomla v1.51 (current version), and they are working on a fix for future versions. You might also try the instruction above to see if it has any effect.
Unread 12th March 2008, 06:54 AM
Bit
I did try. Thanks for your reply.

The code is the same, the file is default_form.php instead of search.html.php...

I made the changes, and I can enter more characters in the search box, but when I execute the search its still cut off. There must be another line of code in another file somewhere.

Thanks again.
Sponsored links