Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Hardware > General Hardware Forum

General Hardware Forum Discuss anything and everything hardware related here.

Unread 14th December 2010, 08:15 AM
Bit
ATI/AMD: Get your priorities straight

I have used all sorts of graphics cards since 2001. If I look back today, my first cards seem to be more useless than a film based on Lindsay Lohan's life. I can not believe how complex GPUs have become within the last 10 years. It wouldn't have been so if a single company had taken over the market. In such a case, I am sure that those pain-in-the-*** business management experts (who ironically run tech companies) would have found a way to stall research and growth to make more bucks by selling same old crap for decades. And this is the only reason I love ATI/AMD.
Now, that last line was not entirely true. ATI makes some great GPUs too, but somehow they have always managed to stay in the second spot. Its not hard for us to see why but what intrigues me most is that the top honchos at ATI never seem to get it.
Now I am not going to criticize ATI performance-wise because I am no engineer but I will talk about what I can see in plain sight. They invest so much energy in developing crap and shamelessly try to promote useless things to cover their shortcomings, its almost painful to watch. NVIDIA has PhysX in their pocket, so ATI tries to market Eyefinity. Don't get me wrong, Eyefinity is a beautiful tech but unless I am a crazy gamer or a 3d developer or Hugh Jackman from SWORDFISH, I simply don't need it. And what the hell is wrong with their driver developers! Each time I switch from Nvidia to ATI, I almost want to kill myself after handling their control panels. It's inefficient, buggy and grotesque. They even tried to integrate some crappy video encoder in their CP but it's so buggy that half the people cant even open it. And the ones that can open it, regret it forever for coming in contact with such a horrible video encoder. And then there is that useless media explorer and a certain FUSION UTILITY. It seems as if by releasing FUSION utility they are admitting that their products do not offer optimum performance. The people who are behind these projects should be executed military-style because they are a threat to humanity.
It's painful for me to say these things because I used to love this company. Currently NVIDIA has more ties with game developers than ATI, but that's not the end of the road. ATI should venture into new territories. Its not like they cant develop good things, because their ATI OVERDRIVE is one of the coolest things I have ever seen ( and not just on a pc). Currently there are no video encoding softwares which can utilize hardware acceleration perfectly. ATI should look into it and form ties with some good software developers to conquer this domain. In this war the company with the fastest GPU will not win the majority of customers, but the one with a proper mix of price-performance-features will rule 'em all. If ATI wants to gain the first place for once in their life, they should start working on their feature-set and stop wasting their energy on stupid projects like the fusion utility.
Unread 14th December 2010, 08:34 AM
Executive Editor
Our forum doesn't see nearly the same number of visitors as some of the articles we post. Perhaps you might want to re-post this as a comment here: AMD Radeon vs NVIDIA GeForce: Graphics Last Stand
Unread 14th December 2010, 09:18 AM
Bit
Thanks, I am going to do that.
Unread 15th December 2010, 06:57 AM
Terabyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopold1985 View Post
NVIDIA has PhysX in their pocket, so ATI tries to market Eyefinity. ... unless I am a crazy gamer or a 3d developer ... I simply don't need it.
I disagree, sort of.
I think nobody really need Eyefinity. You can get the same effect using multiple graphics cards, but it's not that convenient to set-up.
As I see it the biggest use for Eyefinity is with anybody that use more than two monitors in their daily office work. Ever seen a stock broker's office? Here the lower end Radeons fit like a glove!

What nVidia has to offer is:
- PhysX, which could have been a lot more useful for doing other stuff than adding eye-candy if it wasn't proprietary.
- Cuda. According to nVidia non-proprietary, but still only available with nVidia. Used quite a bit by some calculation intensive applications.
- GF 3D Vision. In reality I'd say it takes at least a GTX470 to make good use of it in games. Lesser cards will only do for watching 3D movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopold1985 View Post
And what the hell is wrong with their driver developers! Each time I switch from Nvidia to ATI, I almost want to kill myself after handling their control panels.
I pretty much don't use the control panel at all, other than to set the desired resolution after a fresh install.

I think the drivers themselves (user interface aside) have become a lot better after AMD bought up ATI. Before that my first 3D capable GPU was ATI (Rage LT Pro) and it was so crappy I swore not to go with ATI until they got their act together. Now, a full decade later, I've got my second ATI GPU (Radeon HD5770) and I have no complains other than lack of really quiet third party coolers.

Cheers
Olle
Sponsored links