Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Hardware > General Hardware Forum

General Hardware Forum Discuss anything and everything hardware related here.

Unread 25th February 2010, 07:35 PM
Kilobyte
House Fire - Help Needed

On February 9 my house caught fire in the living room where I had my computer(s). The cause is not known for certain, but could be due to a power strip that overheated. I lost all my computer gear.

I need recommendations for a service that recovers hard drives from fire and water damage.

Also, I have acquired a Dell Dimension 3100 rig that temporarily gets me back online. I am wondering if anyone can make recommendations for upgrading the RAM on this system. It came with 512 Meg RAM, but is running sluggishly, suggesting the need for more RAM. The site www.crucial.com has a RAM identifier for this system. I've been to Best Buy and have been shown a PNY upgrade kit that comes with 2 sticks of 1 Gig DDR2 RAM which should work for the Dimension 3100. If anyone knows which RAM upgrade makes the most sense I would be grateful to have that information.

On the fire: I nearly extinguished the fire with a kitchen fire extinguisher. Unfortunately the extinguisher "ran out" just short of getting the fire "out". Anyone reading this post should be advised to check the electrical circuit(s) you have your gear plugged into and to have a larger capacity extinguisher and/or have more than one extinguisher.

Thanks for any information/recommendations/ideas on what may be useful in this situation where a computer has been destroyed by fire damage (and subsequently water
damage, as the fire department extinguished the blaze).

Thanks!

Joe Jansen
Unread 25th February 2010, 10:18 PM
Executive Editor
In regard to the Dell Dimension 3100, you'll want to use single-sided DDR memory kits. 2x 1GB should be more than enough, and I'd aim for the most affordable kit you can locate since speed and latency won't effect everyday chores. Also, disable the page file (virtual memory) and work directly off of RAM, or else that old hard drive will really slow things down.

Your incident has just caused me to purchase several new fire extinguishers. I'm sorry you've lost so much property, but consider how much worse it could have been.
Unread 25th February 2010, 10:59 PM
Terabyte
I'd go even lower than Olin's suggestion: A single .5 or 1 GB stick will do fine, given that you have a single stick currently installed and run Win XP.
My experience is that increasing the memory to a full GB makes a substantial difference, while additions beyond 1 GB generally makes very little difference.

(Of course we also assume that you've already done your best to speed up the computer by optimising what's loaded during start, removed unused software, cleansed residual entries from the registry and defragmented the HDD.)

Cheers
Olle
Sponsored links