Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Hardware > Overclockers Lounge

Overclockers Lounge Post your projects and results in this section.

Unread 3rd January 2010, 02:37 AM
Kilobyte
Overclocking the i7920 on an Asus P6t

Hello again people.

I've been overclocking my i7920 succesfully to 3.8 and 3.9. I read that performance per watt diminishes past 3.66 Ghz, and video encoding and the like not withstanding, for a gamer like me, going from 3.66 to 4.0 won't really have that much of an impact on games. Is 4ghz really worth it?

My Current specs:
Core i7920 on Asus P6t running at a comfortable 3.7Ghz-Prime 95 stable

Ai overclock:Manual
Cpu ratio:20
Speedstep:On
Turbo:Off
Bclock:185mhz
PciE:100mhz
Dram ClockDDR3-1854 Mhz
CPU Voltage:1.33
CPU PLL Voltage:Auto
QPI/DRAM voltage:Auto
DRAM Bus voltage:1.64
All other voltages:Auto

Load Line Callibration:Enabled
Cpu Diff Amp:Auto
Spread Spectrumsisabled
Clock Skews:Auto

Ram Timings: 8-8-8-20 on Kingston HyperX Kit 6gb [3x2gb]

Model: KHX1280D3LK36GX

Any comments?

Speedstep tech allows the OS to control the CPU yes? I gather it's an energy saving feature primarily so the CPU underclocks itself when its not seeing any use- am i right?
Should it be left on or off in an OC system?

Would increasing the PCIE Clock from 100mhz make a difference in fps terms?

Correct me if I'm wrong but Intel's Thermal Management i.e Overspeed Protection underclocks the CPU when it's temperature peaks at danger levels yes? But is this auto underclocking going to affect performance at the higher clocks? I read that 3.8 Ghz was actually benching faster than 4.0 due to TM throttling at the latters higher temps.

Any thoughts on the matter anyone?

Last edited by koaladoraemon : 3rd January 2010 at 02:46 AM.
Unread 3rd January 2010, 09:44 AM
Executive Editor
You don't make mention of your temps, so I'll simply believe that TM throttling is the culprit. If you’re after better gaming performance, I highly suggest that you do a series of FPS benchmarks with a known-stable tool (LightsMark would be my choice, as it tests accurate to the tenth of a frame every test). Start with stock clock speed and take three tests, then overclock and check the FPS there. I’m betting that you’re not gaining as much as you think with the CPU.
Unread 1st February 2010, 07:50 PM
Byte
Do you have a stock CPU fan? I have the same mobo and CPU, and I wasn't successfully able to overclock over 3 GHz. :/

However, I'm picking up a CPU liquid cooler within the next week or so.. Hopefully I'll be able to achieve speeds like yours after I do so.
I'll be sure to post my results.
Unread 1st February 2010, 08:59 PM
Kilobyte
Cpu Cooler Query

Hi SeeARMS.

Heck No! I have a Xigmatek Thor's Hammer. Intel's 'stock' cooler is fine for 'stock' speeds, but it can't handle overclocking. 3ghz max is pretty much what everybody gets on stock max. Buying a good cooler isn't enough, proper installation is vital. I used Olin's method of Thermal paste application and generally it's extremely stable in games and for everyday computing.

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get in the vicinity of 4Ghz with liquid cooling though. Word of caution though, VERY GOOD AIR COOLING >> SO-SO LIQUID COOLING. ANYDAY.

The price of a moderate liquid cooling set up maybe equal or more likely LESS than a very good air cooling set up eg.Prolimatech Megahalems, Thermalright IFX-14, but performance wise a VERY GOOD AIR COOLER is better than a MODERATE LIQUID COOLER.

For eg, the performance of the so called budget Corsair H50 (i may be misquoting the serial number here) or other 'one piece installation' water coolers eg. Coolit Domino has been pretty suspect actually. I don't remember the link precisely but X-bit labs is a great place to view the numbers. Some of these water coolers are over hyped garbage.

The real performers are the full spec water cooling set ups with radiators, pumps, water blocks all bought separately and assembled to spec. This as you guessed it, will cost you a bomb. Money that would be better spent on buying a larger monitor, or maybe a more robust graphics card. Benefits from overclocking the CPU when it comes to games will not be as lofty as you're hoping. Tom's hardware has an excellent article on diminishing returns from overclocking. Basically, you should OC a Core iy920 to 3.66 Ghz max, beyond which exceeding temps and possible auto throttling of the CPU will limit performance gains.

Of course if you want to go water cooling, do it the right way and get a specialized expensive set up. But your temps will be fantastic and those cooling blocks can be linked in parallel to cool your graphics card and your mobo chipset too.

Of course having said that, i've been to 4ghz, IMHO i can say this. IMHO It's more abut bragging rights than practicality. If you can't get there, you'r really really not missing out on much. 3.66, 3.8 is just fine too. I've been having some problems at 4ghz that i never had a 3.7 or 3.8 ghz. Do Read my other post.

Cheers.

Last edited by koaladoraemon : 2nd February 2010 at 04:54 AM.
Sponsored links