Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Benchmark Reviews Forum > Site Discussion

Site Discussion We welcome your feedback! Tell us how to make this site and forum a better place.

Unread 2nd December 2009, 01:48 PM
Executive Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
I, personally, find those very annoying where used!
I prefer vanilla links and lists that stick to the same relative place on the page.
To be fair Olle, you're impossible to please.

What I'm trying to do, or rather, the reason I'm looking to use the expanding Suckerfish menu, is because the featured review section has two-dozen sub-sections. We expose most of them on our current menu, but I don't want to do it that way this time around. What I want to do is have it expand-out on a hover-over and show all of the sub-sections.
Unread 4th December 2009, 10:11 AM
Kilobyte
Ugh, it's been a while since I have touched CSS... I don't know how helpful I would be.

It seems like the page content starts low on the page... I am not such a big fan of how big that grey box is with the Latest Featured Content and Industry News is... it seems like it takes up half the height of the page. I wonder how they would look off to one side?

Just my input.. I like the changing header logo, though.
Unread 4th December 2009, 10:18 AM
Gigabyte
I share Nate´s opinion on the Latest Featured and Industry news box. It takes half of the page already and I´m using 24" inches monitor (1200p vertical).
Having this reduced or maybe on one side could be better.
The new logo looks great IMO.
Unread 28th December 2009, 05:37 PM
Executive Editor
I'm at a crossroads with the new website. Here are my three biggest concerns:
  1. There's no migration from Joomla 1.15 to version 1.5x, and so established URL's will be broken by a move (to either a sub-domain or sub-directory) into the new CMS.
  2. The Joomla 1.5x CMS we're developing with already has a replacement (Joomla 1.6) that's in alpha and moving into beta very soon. A stable version of Joomla 1.6 is expected around April 2010.
  3. Moving into a new CMS requires re-training of personnel, and there's a dramatic difference between 1.x and 1.5x. There's also a significant difference between 1.5 and 1.6.
After much tweaking of the 2.0 template CSS, I've come to the realization that I don't particularly care for Joomla 1.5 and it's lack of native functionality (most of which was present in 1.x). Sure, it will work and add some functionality in other areas, but Joomla 1.6 is only 3-5 months away and does much more.

At this point, I'm looking for reasons from staff and visitors to move now or wait for the change.
Unread 28th December 2009, 08:31 PM
Gigabyte
Send a message via ICQ to Daryl Greene Send a message via AIM to Daryl Greene Send a message via MSN to Daryl Greene Send a message via Yahoo to Daryl Greene Send a message via Skype™ to Daryl Greene
My 2 cents.....
If you think that 1.6 will give you what you want in the long run, and moving now will require retraining twice to move to 1.6 later, WAIT.
Unread 28th December 2009, 09:47 PM
Gigabyte
I think there´s nothing to be hurry , so patience and working in the best upgrade should be always a priority. It think a better change in some months is better than a hurried change with those problems, and BmR is always prepared to challenge everything in a good-ordered way.

Regards.
Unread 31st December 2009, 08:54 AM
Contributing Editor
Send a message via MSN to Hank Tolman Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Tolman Send a message via Skype™ to Hank Tolman
Wait

I agree with waiting. If you are not happy with 1.5, there is certainly no reason to start using it. Might as well fight the beast we already know then to learn a new one that we won't even be proficient at before moving again to another one. If you were happy with 1.5 and liked the product, I would say move, and move again to 1.6 at a later date. In this case, however, I would suggest waiting.

Hank
Unread 1st January 2010, 02:12 AM
Terabyte
Send a message via MSN to RagingShadow07
It's not like the site's not functioning well as it is. Everyone's familiar with everything by now, I'm sure. No sense in upgrading twice.
Sponsored links