Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Benchmark Reviews Forum > Member News

Member News Found something interesting? Share it here.

Unread 29th September 2009, 02:55 PM
Executive Editor
Microsoft Security Essentials Offers Free Anti-Virus & Malware Protection

Microsoft Security Essentials, Microsoft Corp.'s new no-cost, core anti-malware service that helps protect consumers against viruses, spyware and other malicious software, will be available tomorrow, Tuesday, Sept. 29. Microsoft Security Essentials, independently certified by West Coast Labs, is backed by the company's global security response team and is built on the same award-winning core security technology found in the company's security solutions for businesses. It requires no registration, trials or renewals and will be available for download directly from Microsoft...

Unread 5th October 2009, 02:27 AM
Terabyte
"It requires no registration, trials or renewals..."
Yes it does! You need to pass the GWA-test to download this software.

Personally I rather rely on a third party for protection than use security tools from MS.

Cheers
Olle
Unread 5th October 2009, 07:14 AM
Terabyte
Send a message via MSN to RagingShadow07
I think it's nice that Microsoft is trying to get more people to get an anti-virus program. I doubt it'll be as good as aVast! or AVG, but, to me, it looks like they're just trying to give people who don't know about AVG, aVast!, or etc. an Anti-virus.

Personally, I think it may be a good idea to bundle that with an OS, provided they'll allow it to be disabled and/or uninstalled, and another AV to be installed. That should at least help prevent some viruses for people with no AV whatsoever.
Unread 5th October 2009, 07:39 AM
Executive Editor
Olle:

Genuine Windows Authentication is not a trial, and it's also part of the EULA for Microsoft Windows. I don't see a problem with Microsoft wanting to support only legitimate installations of Windows.