Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Benchmark Reviews Forum > Off-Topic Discussions

Off-Topic Discussions If it doesn't fit in another section, it probably belongs here. Keep discussions civil and respectful.

Unread 8th August 2009, 11:18 AM
Bit
Do You Use Windows 7?

If so, Do you use it as your primary Operating System for testing purposes OR, Just as a Vista Replacement?

Just wondering...

I personally have no complaints with vista but would like to try 7. Even though I wouldn't be doing much testing with it.

Is it ok to use Windows 7 RC on a main computer?
Unread 8th August 2009, 12:33 PM
Megabyte
I have no intention or desire to use Windows 7. My computer, using Vista, is exhibiting none of the problems I had with XP and runs very stable. The only time it does crash is when some driver wants to play bad.

As far as the Windows 7 ISOs released on technet and MSDN, those are only meant for evaluation (technet) such as migration or software testing or for development purposes (MSDN) such as debugging and testing if pre-existing programs work on multiple systems.

MSDN states, explicitly on their page, that you must have a legitimate copy of Vista if you plan on using Vista for normal, day-to-day, usage.
Unread 8th August 2009, 12:46 PM
Gigabyte
Send a message via ICQ to XJnine
I have been using the Windows 7 RC since it came out and I love it. Just little things but it seems much more polished than Vista.

I used Vista since it came out and I liked it once all the driver kinks got worked out but once I switched to Windows 7 I never considered going back to Vista. All that being said, Win 7 RC is still not (obviously) a commercially released operating system and I would never use it for any business or mission critical equipment. Even though I haven't had any problems I wouldn't take a chance with any business on an unfinished OS.
2x PNY GeForce 680 GTX SLI
32gb G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 @ 2133
2x Samsung 840Pro 256gb SSD's, Raid 0
2x Seagate Barracuda 3tb HD's, RAID 1
Vertex 4 128gb SRT Cache Drive
Memorex MRX-800 Blu-Ray drive
Corsair 1000 watt power supply
Fractal Design Define XL R2 Case
Dell U3011 30" monitor
Unread 8th August 2009, 05:56 PM
Terabyte
Send a message via MSN to RagingShadow07
I've also been using it since Day One of the beta, then upgraded to RC1 on the first day that came out.

I was previously using XP, and having used 7, I'll never go back to XP again.

I seem to be one of the only ones who actually liked Vista. When I was using it, I had no problems with it. I don't know if I was lucky, or just didn't use it enough.

That being said, I'm more than happy with Windows 7. Even in beta it's stable and works great. Not counting a few driver problems (Which were solved by running the driver .exe in Vista compatibility mode) it's worked perfectly. I plan to get an OEM copy of Premium when it's released.
Unread 8th August 2009, 05:57 PM
Executive Editor
I've been reluctant to move into Windows Vista, although I do have it on one of my test workstations. Windows 7 is very much like Vista, in look and feel, but as XJnine mentions it's more polished. I plan to move all testing into Windows 7 when it's released.
Unread 8th August 2009, 10:26 PM
Byte
Installed it today, it's okay, just vista with a lot of tweaks, I only use it for a testing and such.
Unread 9th August 2009, 07:27 AM
Gigabyte
Send a message via ICQ to Daryl Greene Send a message via AIM to Daryl Greene Send a message via MSN to Daryl Greene Send a message via Yahoo to Daryl Greene Send a message via Skype™ to Daryl Greene
I originally had issues with Win7 rebooting my pc everytime it went to screensaver or energy saving, whatever. Now that seems to be gone but my games won't play on my entire monitor. They just won't utilize my wide screen.

As for using it on a main system, you can do it as a dual boot if you have more than one drive set up.
Unread 9th August 2009, 08:11 AM
Terabyte
Send a message via MSN to RagingShadow07
On the beta version of 7, it had problems resuming from sleep mode, but that seems to be fixed on the RC. I still can't get the NVIDIA PhysX screensaver to work properly, though.
Unread 10th August 2009, 02:09 AM
Terabyte
I haven't used Win7 in any way, but for the past few months tried to read user comments about it.
I've been reluctant to leave XP as my main OS because I use plenty of older software that I don't want to leave behind.
Windows 7 seems pretty nice though, and I'd really love to use the full potential of a 64-bit OS as well, therefore I'm seriously considering using Win7 Premium as my main OS with XP as a dual boot option, beginning somewhere around X-mas.

Cheers
Olle
Unread 10th August 2009, 06:28 AM
Gigabyte
Send a message via ICQ to Daryl Greene Send a message via AIM to Daryl Greene Send a message via MSN to Daryl Greene Send a message via Yahoo to Daryl Greene Send a message via Skype™ to Daryl Greene
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingShadow07 View Post
On the beta version of 7, it had problems resuming from sleep mode, but that seems to be fixed on the RC. I still can't get the NVIDIA PhysX screensaver to work properly, though.

I couldn't get that screensaver to work right either!
Sponsored links