Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum Right Header

Go Back Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum > Parts Bin > Contests

Contests This is where the contest trolls live. Post your contest news here!

Closed Thread
Old 11th December 2008, 10:24 AM
Executive Editor
MvixBOX WDN-2000 Network Media Server Christmas Giveaway

One very lucky Benchmark Reviews forum member will win a MvixBOX WDN-2000 network media server for Christmas. Valued at over $289, this little dynamo is actually a capable NAS (network attached storage) appliance with multimedia tuning. This drawing is open to all forum members (including staff) with a continental US shipping address. To enter, simply make a post in this thread listing what you would use the MvixBOX WDN-2000 for. The contest winner will be drawn 10PM PST on Monday 12/15/08.

See the Amazon listing here. Download PDF spec sheet here.

Product Features
Media Server, File Server, Web Server, Torrent, NAS, FTP, Free DDNS, Gigabit Network, 100% Compatible with Seagate / Maxtor HDDs. (Other Brand HDD compatibility coming soon)
Stream AVI, MPEG, movies and music to your Mvix Media player or share media across PCs via uPnP protocol
Centralized File Storage & Sharing Server. Innovative "Webdisk" functionality allows users to easily drag and drop files between PCs and the NAS Server
Pre-configured Webserver: MvixBox comes pre-installed and pre-configured with Apache, MySQL, SQlife, and PHP modules - offering an excellent, low-cost web-server for small businesses and developers.
Simple and Secure Administration: Web-based, intuitive configuration module for user / group administration. Included Software allows scheduling and synchronizing data backups.
Technical Details
Compatible with 1.5 TB SATA Hard Drives, Turnkey file-sharing & transfer solution
Complete file encryption for local or remote access of sensitive data via FTP or HTTP
Users can create personal websites, blogs, wikis, family forums on the MvixBOX with easy to use configuration wizard
Quick Launcher Download, WebDisk Explorer, Windows Explorer, Web Explorer, Blog, Torrent Client, RSS Reader, Administrator and more
Gigabit wired network offers high bandwidth, allowing streaming of Hi-Def. files across LAN clients and media players such as Mvix Media Centers, Sonos® Digital Music System, Apple iTunes® clients, Sony Playstation® 3 and Microsoft Xbox 360®

Old 11th December 2008, 10:54 AM
Bit
I would use it as it was intended to be used in along with my HDTV, Sony PS3 setup. Also i would save all my recipes on its web pages and access them from a touch screen PC in my kitchen so i can make Yummy meals.
Old 11th December 2008, 10:59 AM
Byte
awesome. This is an easy job, it sure serve as my media center where I will stram all of my files among my systems.
Old 11th December 2008, 11:10 AM
Megabyte
I'm in Canada, I guess that excludes me
Too bad because I would use this to stream video to my Home theater.
Old 11th December 2008, 11:11 AM
Bit
What I would....

Stream video throughout my house, schedule backups for those who don't do them themselves, move my webserver to it and see how it works - then post my review on BenchmarkReviews.com
Old 11th December 2008, 11:15 AM
Executive Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by slugbug View Post
I'm in Canada, I guess that excludes me
We will ship this item anywhere in the US, so if you have family/friends here you could still enter.
Old 11th December 2008, 11:19 AM
Kilobyte
Thanks for the email.
I would use it to add game server to the CDU gaming community. We currently rent out of Dallas, this little jewel would provide a better ping for the gamers in my local area.
Old 11th December 2008, 11:25 AM
Kilobyte
My massive collection of por^h^h^h lolcatz pictures.

Of course, being a Canadian, this is closed to me. Olin, why do you hate Canadians? ;> (and I do have someone to ship to in the US, neato!)

Seriously though, that is one cool little box. The possibilities are impressive and that it's pretty much its own LAMP server are very enticing as well! Good luck to the winner. A nice wiki at home, or a centralized calendaring system and searchable phone book to keep all the families numbers and appointments in one place. Niiice.

There is also, of course, the media storage/streaming abilities of the device that would be interesting. The php/apache combo brings to light some very novel ways of controlling playback with an iPhone, n700/n800/n810 or some other wifi equipped PDA.

Last edited by tinfoil : 11th December 2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11th December 2008, 11:32 AM
Executive Editor
For the record, I like Canadians very much. So much, that one lives with me.
MVIX cannot ship to Canada, but they offered to ship anywhere in the continental US. Work the system.
Old 11th December 2008, 11:48 AM
Bit
That'd be great to do some streaming to my home theater!
Sponsored links
Closed Thread